Chapter Twenty-Three: Party Escape

Stan did in fact try to make Y/n work the next day.

"Squirt," he said, pacing around the party room. The majority of the day was spent setting up the room. They did a pretty good job with it, if Y/n was to be honest.

A large table held an array of snacks picked out by the kids. It had the best of both worlds; sugary snacks to satisfy Mabel's sweet tooth and an assortment of chips to take care of Dipper's salty preference. Wendy picked out the drinks, and managed to wrangle nearly eight different types of sodas.

Soos and Stan were put in charge of decorations. With that information alone, Y/n hadn't expected much, but was pleasantly surprised when Mabel had dragged her into the room earlier. There was a little station in the corner of the room with speakers, a microphone, a karaoke machine, and synthesizer. She later learned that was all a part of Soos' plan to be DJ for the night. Stan had put up some balloons and streamers, installed some strobe lights in the corners and even went as far as rigging up an old fog machine he had found in storage.

Currently, the Mystery Shack employees were lined up, waiting for Stan to delegate duties for the night. Y/n was a little confused as to why she was put there, until Stan assigned her to take tickets with Wendy.

"Woah woah woah," she said. "What happened to today being my last day off?"

Stan rolled his eyes, checking his watch. "Kid, your day off ended 4 hours ago."

"You started counting the days from when I stole the register?!"

"Well yeah! When else was I supposed to start? The next day?"

Before Y/n could argue, Dipper spoke up, carefully stepping out of the line.

"Actually Stan," he said, rocking on his feet, "I could take tickets with Wendy today, if it doesn't make a difference....?"

The two looked to him, Y/n immensely grateful and Stan skeptical. "You do understand you're going to have to be out there all night, right?"

"Well yeah, I assumed so."

"It'll just be you two, alone, taking tickets. You think you can handle that?" He further inquired, stepping closer to him.

"Uh... yeah. It's not that hard—"

"Alrighty then! Squirt, you're free to go. Now Dipper, remember: you're fully committed to this. There's no getting out of it."

Y/n could see the blush that faintly painted his cheeks as he tried his best not to fully turn around and get a better look of the red head. She never had been more grateful for his crush at that moment. "Yeah, I-I know. I promise I'll be there."

"Okay, that's all done with then. C'mon people! Let's go get this place ready!"

With a slight cheer, the Mystery crew dispersed, Y/n following the twins to their room.

"Thanks Dip," Y/n said, nudging him slightly as they entered the attic space. "I really did not want to do that all night."

"Yeah! It's no problem at all," he said quickly, rushing over to his side of the room. He looked through a pile of clothes on the floor, until he pulled out a small bow tie. "This should do it," he mumbled under his breath. He continued fishing around until he found a can of body spray.

Y/n and Mabel shared a look, both raising their brows. It was obvious; Dipper always seemed to wear his heart on his sleeve.

"You can cut the crap, you know?" The eldest said. "We both know what this whole plot of yours is for."