Chapter Sixteen: Love and War...?

"Stan," Y/n gulped, violently being tossed around in the passenger seat, "please drive a bit slower. Bud's house isn't going anywhere!"

"No! I have to get there before that little shit leaves on a date with your sister!"

After ushering Y/n into her room to change, Stan promptly dragged the fatigued girl to the car. He pushed her into the passenger seat, attempted to slide across the hood of the Diablo, and then scrambled into the driver's side. Letting the engine roar to life, the two were off at an alarmingly high speed.

And if there was one thing Y/n knew, it was that Stan absolutely couldn't drive.

He cut corners, switched lanes, and made such sharp turns that the girl was surprised to find the car still intact at some points. It was just as bad as when they were heading to the lake; maybe even worse, because Stan was insistent that there was some imaginary clock he had to beat.

The car came to a deafening screech stop as the two passed a large Gideon billboard enclosed in a darkly colored metal fence.

"Why'd we stop?" Y/n asked breathlessly, recovering from the lurch into the dashboard. The seatbelt had locked on her, almost choking her when she was thrown forward with the stop.

"We're here," Stan replied coldly.

"But we're just in front of a billboard." Y/n grappled with the seatbelt further, with no success unlocking it.

Stan scoffed. "They advertise in their own front lawn. How tacky is that?"

Ignoring the fact that the car the two were in literally was plastered in Mystery Shack bumper stickers, Y/n looked up. She was surprised to see that Stan was right. Behind the billboard (which actually advertised this being the home of Lil' Gideon) and all the cleanly cut and kept shrubbery and plants, a small house sat at the end of a stone path. Colored blue, it was quite modest, with the fencing wrapped in vines and budding flowers. A small gazebo was at one end, and an old granite fountain stood by the other.

"Come on, Squirt," Stan grunted, already opening his door. "It's time we give them a piece of our minds!"

"Stan!" Y/n complained, fumbling with the belt latch. It finally released, and she scrambled out of the car. Stan was already storming up the path, an ire burning within him.

"Stan, come on! It's this a bit ridiculous? Sure you, Gideon, and Bud are rivals— and I can't say I don't completely agree with your attitude towards them— but let's just leave it be!" Y/n tried to reason with him, grabbing his sleeve and pulling him back to the car. "They're their own people! Let them figure it out themselves!"

Y/n didn't know how Mabel felt about Gideon. She knew they had gotten along well enough to garner several play dates between the two, but— for the life of her— she couldn't remember her attitude when she first mentioned the date the other night. She was too tired to even recall the exact words Mabel used, let alone her revealing body language.

So, in the chance she actually did like him, Y/n figured it would be best if the family was to stay out of it completely. If Mabel didn't feel comfortable with the relationship, then surely she would end it.

"Nonsense!" Stan snapped, tugging his way out of Y/n's grasp. He reached the door, slamming it violently.

"Oi! Open up, Gideon! You little punk!" He peered through the peephole, roughly tossing aside the little sign the Gleeful's hung on their door.

"Stan, please! Can we just go ho—"

"No! We are not leaving until we get that Gideon to stop dating Mabel!"