Chapter Seven: Think Outside The Box

Y'all getting a chapter slightly earlier than usual because my physics review just got canceled because of a supposed gas leak in the school lmao. It's actually not even just the school it's like the entire block.

Hope you guys enjoy! Share, comment, and vote if you'd like! I'd appreciate any feedback :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The police were called immediately.

The red and blue lights flashed outside of the shack, shrouding the surroundings in an eerie glow. The once silent night was accented with the dying police sirens and radio static. Birds and bugs were startled awake, and were loudly voicing their complaints in the surrounding shrubbery and trees.

Inside, Blubs and Durland were inspecting the scene, as Y/n struggled to comfort a mourning Stan and Dipper struggled to cheer up his own crestfallen sister.

"I get up to use the john, right?" Stan started, choking on his words. "And when I come back, blammo! He's— he's—!"

Stan couldn't finish his sentence and turned away from the headless body completely, mumbling apologies.

"He was," Y/n ran her thumb across her throat. "Crrk!"

"My expert handcrafting," Mabel said sadly, patting the chest of the fall figure. "Besmirched. Besmirched!" She cried.

Dipper put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Who would do something like this?"

"What's your opinion, Sheriff Blubs?" Durland asked, looking from his notepad. Y/n glanced over to see what he had taken down of Stan's account. The pad was covered in little doodles and illegible scribbles.

Does this man even know how to write?

"Look," the beige clad Sheriff started, taking a sip of his coffee, "we'd love to help you folks, but let's face the facts. This case is unsolvable."

"What?!" The four screamed in unison.

Stan lunged forward, and Y/n struggled to hold him back. "You take that back," he growled hysterically. "You take that back, Sheriff Blubs!"

"You're kidding, right?" Dipper asked. "There must be evidence, motives."

"Definitely," Y/n said, crossing her arms. She was already in detective mode. "Unfortunately, the scene's already been tampered with, so I doubt we'll find much physical evidence, but we can probably figure out unsubs just by—"

"Whoo!" Blubs said, interrupting Y/n's murmuring. "Would you look at what we got here! A hot-shot City Detective!"

Dipper's brows raised. "What? She knows what she's talking about. And I can help too."

"Yeah, yeah! They're really good at this stuff," Mabel cheered.

"Yeah, have these two kids help. They've got brains up there," Stan agreed, knocking on Y/n's head.

"These City Folk think they're gonna solve a murder mystery! What are you gonna use, your fancy computer phone?"

"City Folk! City Folk!" Durland echoed.

"You two are adorable!" Blubs said, pointing between Y/n and Dipper.

"A-adorable?" Dipper asked, embarrassed. He felt his heart sink for a moment. He hated when he wasn't taken seriously because of his age.

The two cops laughed, and Y/n's brows creased. These little shits—

"Look PJ's, Hoodie, how about you leave the investigating to the grown-ups, okay?"

"Grown-ups?" Y/n snapped. This time, she lunged forward and Stan had to hold her back. She was too tired to think of the consequences. "Pardon me, but if I remember right, you just said this case is impossible. So if you aren't gonna do jack about this murder, then I don't see why Dipper and I—  a near capable teen and adult— can't take a crack at it ourselves!"