Chapter Four: Light A Match

Bill Cipher knew a lot of things, so there wasn't much that confused or surprised him. That card trick the magician astounded a couple with? He used two sets of playing cards. The creatures undiscovered by mankind crawling along the depths of the oceans? Bill has a couple as pets. The excited murmur among scientists of the possibility of dimensions parallel to their own? Please; he resided in one of several.

But this fleshbag? Now there was something that intrigued him. And Bill hadn't felt this curious in a long time.

When he heard through the grapevine that Sixer's family was spending their summer at good ol' Gravity Falls, he was the first to commemorate their arrival. They were new puppets and toys for Bill to play with.

He watched as they filed off the bus, heading towards the Mystery Shack; his old playgrounds.

Fez, Shooting Star, Pine Tree, and... a girl. When no symbol came to mind, Bill was taken aback. Had he— an interdimensional being of pure energy— had stooped down so low as to forget something as important as those symbols on that zodiac?

He had to double-check, and what he found was even more peculiar: that girl wasn't on the wheel. How was that even possible? How was someone this closely related to Sixer not on that zodiac?

That's what initially piqued his interest.

He followed her around, trying to fathom out why she wasn't on the wheel. She had a broken arm; maybe the impaired limb took her out for good. Maybe she wouldn't even make it to when Bill finally broke free of the mindscape.

If she did die, it had to be from an accident. She seemed smart— she practically followed in Fordsy's footsteps— so being killed by a monster in the forest wasn't a fitting explanation. Definitely the smartest one in the shack, at least at the moment.

Then he got a peek into her mind.

He was there for a second, before he appeared in her dream. But from what he saw, Bill was rather... impressed.

It was extremely organized, especially considering the abstract human understanding of "mind" and "consciousness." It didn't just include a house of her subconscious either, she had an area outside of the perimeter of her mind. Something akin to what humans call a "happy place," he figured, where she'd spend most of her time when she wasn't awake and active. But what really sold Bill on this mortal was the power she seemed to have over her subconscious.

It was like nothing he had seen before in a human. Even Sixer didn't have this much control over his dreamscape. This fleshbag could create vast empires from nothing in seconds if she wanted to; she could get rid of them just as fast with a flick of her wrist.

Lucid dreaming this consistently wasn't something normal in humans, let alone her ability to consistently "shift," as it was being called. Essentially, what was really happening was that she was able to bypass her subconscious into nearby dimensions.

Bill was especially intrigued by this detail; this could potentially make torturing her (if needed, of course) much easier; why stop at creating nightmares when he could lead her subconscious to the actual Nightmare Realm? And why stop there; he could drag her anywhere, and because she was still a meek and powerless human, she wouldn't know anyway to stop her subconscious from drifting unless she stopped sleeping altogether.

She's definitely going to be a fun one.

But, maybe... maybe he was getting ahead of himself, already thinking of ways to drive her into insanity.

Maybe he got lucky that she wasn't imprinted on that wheel; if she wasn't one of the ten prophesied to be his downfall, could she be something he could use to ease his transition into power?