Chapter Nineteen: Vending Machine

When Y/n finally crawled out of her room, lured out by the sheer call of her stomach, it was a little past four. The twins and Wendy had left an hour ago, and Stan promptly closed up the Shack and went back to doing his old man things.

She was almost grateful that Wendy had agreed to let Dipper and Mabel tag along with her friends. She was a little surprised, too: it's not everyday a group of teenagers agree to bring along twelve-year-olds to hang out. Y/n could only hope they weren't doing anything too extreme; she liked the redhead, but she was a little too laid back in certain situations.

Y/n stumbled into the kitchen, still immensely bitter with her unfinished deal. She grabbed the cold mug of coffee, pouring herself a hearty glass. Stan followed in behind her.

"Woah! Would you look at that! The dead walk again!" He laughed loudly, harshly clapping a hand on her shoulder.

Y/n shrugged it off, grumbling a not-so-enthusiastic-greeting. She sipped her coffee, leaning against the counter.

"Oh? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?" Stan asked, his brow raising slightly. He poured himself a glass.

"Wendy interrupted maybe the best sleep I've had all week," she muttered. "I'm a little cranky."

"A little? You're putting my grumpy-old-man act to shame."

When she didn't laugh, Stan quickly cleared his throat. "Well, you do have the day free. And without those little troublemakers running around, it should be easier to take a couple of power naps. So stop drinking that, and go get some rest," he said, forcefully taking the cup from her hands.

With a loud sigh, she nodded, waddling back into her room. She would never say it out loud, but Y/n seemed to be cursed with the inability to take naps. She never knew why, but it was a source of envy among her school friends who could easily take two hour naps after school. It appeared that once she was up, she was up for good.

So when she closed the door behind her, she went back to the one thing she was the tiniest bit excited about getting back to: the journal. She figured she would simply see Bill later that night, and she wanted to go back to him with possible new points to theorize about.

Y/n had barely read 30 pages last night. But if you asked her, she couldn't remember any of them. There was so much information packed into some of them that it was an eyesore at some points. As she leafed through them again, she was almost surprised that she was able to make it through as far as she did without passing out sooner.

"I need a different way to go about this," she grumbled to herself. She had her blankets loosely wrapped around her figure, hunched over the journal in her lap. "Everything is so messy here."

Y/n pouted slightly, puffing up her cheeks as she once again leafed through the entirety of the journal. She stopped when she reached the ending of the book. About halfway through the journal— as Dipper had told her— the original Author had pretty much vanished off the face of the Earth. It was something she figured Dipper was already theorizing, and she hoped she could start putting together clues from the journal. But what interested her at the moment wasn't the section before the sudden disappearance, but the pages after.

"It appears Dipper was a lot more busy than I thought he was." The following pages were filled with blue ink and his familiar handwriting. He had taken the role of the new author as he searched for the original.

Y/n flipped through the pages he had written in. There wasn't much that would be considered new to her. If anything, the retelling of the twins' gnome encounter was interesting. But everything else she had essentially lived through. He detailed the Gobblewonker (going into a lot more depth with McGucket than she ever did), the wax figures, the alleged ghost he had seen, and had even started an entry on Gideon. He hadn't finished the sketch of the little devil or the description, but for what he had, it was a pretty decent start.