Chapter Twenty-Five: Demonic Presence

He had wandered into the party later than he had anticipated.

The man cursed himself slightly when he finally did enter, slightly embarrassed with himself for not updating himself on the newer and modern technologies humans had seemed to come up with in the oddsome years he had been away from this dimension.

But he had only been away for nearly... what? 25 or so years...? How did things change so fast? How did they go from landlines and blocky phones and beepers to handheld devices that had access to nearly limitless knowledge within a few presses of their fingertips?

As he slowly made his way past groups of teens on their little glowing rectangles, he couldn't help but look over their shoulders and inspect the new technology further. He watched with awe as they chatted away with nothing more than a few scrolls of their thumb and posted pictures with a few taps around the small screen.

Conversations with people from the palm of your hand? Platforms to connect to the entire world? He was almost impressed; there seriously had been some major improvements since he had been away.

But as he continued past a booming speaker, he realized that not all change had been necessarily good. He was slowly finding out that music changed, too.

He didn't know what genre was currently blasting in his ears from all around him, but he knew he didn't like it. It was nothing like the records he remembered having; there were less synthesized beats and electric hip-hop melodies and more skillful violin runs and steady piano chords.

He waded through the people scattered across the room and the dance floor, trying his best not to bump into anyone accidentally. It was slightly hard to move around with all the strobe lights flashing around making his head spin. He didn't think he would have been affected so badly, but then again, he wasn't himself at this moment. If he wanted to blend in with these people, then he would need to use his human form, no matter how much weaker it was.

As he slowly made his way to the snack table, he helped himself to a cup of soda, eying the bottle cautiously as if it was poisonous. It might as well have been: why did it have so much sugar?

"They all have beyond average sugar content," he muttered under his breath, twisting the bottle caps to get a better view of their labels. A couple of people beside him gave him an odd glare, having heard his comment. He fell silent, and in the end he settled on a bit of Coke, not even bothering to grab a cookie or brownie; if the sodas were much too sweet for his liking, he could only imagine the food.

"If only they had tea," he moped to himself, cautiously sipping his soda. "No wonder why humans die so fast, they're practically poisoning themselves with these sweets."

But he wasn't there to contemplate where humans had gone wrong in their development, nor was he there to mingle with the people of Gravity Falls. As much as he adored observing humans and partaking in their little festivities and whatnot, he was there on a mission: he was going to find the source of his fire. 

He had taken it upon himself to visit countless dimensions since that day he had first learned of the presence of a twin flame. He left Ashgar in charge of things back at home (as if he needed to even delegate anything in the first place; the small imp was always ever-so-helpful) and left for the neighboring dimensions soon after. The reaction had been so strong, so the source had to be close, didn't they?

Yet, so far, he had come up with nothing but insuccess; all attempts only resulted in random run-ins with weaker demons at best and nothing but ghosts or imps at worse.

But, when he first arrived in Gravity Falls, little ways into the woods but rather close to the homely little town, he had been a little more hopeful. Not even a second within the realm had his senses picked up on an immense amount of energy— something most closely associated with a rather powerful demon; potentially exactly what he was looking for.