Chapter Eighteen: Journal

Dipper sat in his bed, hissing in pain as he adjusted his bruised body under the covers. Gideon might have been a child, but that amulet helped him pack more than a punch he was willing to admit.

Mabel looked over at him, guilty. If she had just broken things off in the first place, then there was a good chance Gideon wouldn't have gone after Dipper like that.

"Hey, are you doing okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," Dipper said, putting on a fake smile. "I'm all good."

The door creaked open, and Y/n poked her head through. In her hand was a makeshift bag of ice. Her brows were creased with worry, and she quickly looked between the two twins. "Hey, who needs ice?"

"Dipper does!"

"No, no!" Dipper stuttered, waving his hands. "I'm just fine, I don't need any—"

"You nearly have a black eye," Y/n said sternly, "you're getting the ice. Mabel, what about you?"

"No, it's just me," he conceded.

Y/n pulled over a spare crate that always seemed to be lying around. She plopped down beside Dipper's bed, holding the ice over his eye. He let out a hiss when the sudden cold touched his skin. Mabel jumped off her bed, skipping over to sit on the edge of her twin's.

"So," Y/n said, once she made sure Dipper was comfortable. The concern from her eyes vanished, and a frown settled on her lips. "Are you gonna tell me what exactly happened tonight? Or am I going to have to force it out of you?"

Dipper grimaced, taking the bag from his sister and moving it slightly. There was no getting out of this one. "No, I'll— I'll tell you."

He sat up, and Y/n helped him by moving his pillows around to make him comfortable.

"I, uh... we got into a huge fight with Gideon," he began.

Dipper continued to talk about the phone call from Toby, something he later learned was staged by Gideon to lure him out to an abandoned warehouse. From there, he was attacked using the boy's magic amulet— the actual source of any telekinesis stunt he ever pulled off, including the one where he got his entire audience to stand with nothing but a wave of his hand.

Mabel eventually started adding to the story: she had known where Dipper was heading, and went to find him after she had a quick pep talk with Wendy about breakups. She wanted to bring him for moral support when she finally went to confront Gideon herself. But then she realized what was actually happening, and came to her brother's defense.

The fight ended when Mabel saved the two from plummeting off a cliff with the amulet. They broke it, she finally told him off, and then Gideon vowed that they hadn't seen the end of him.

"So when were you going to tell me?" Y/n asked coldly, her brows furrowing. The concern was wiped off her face, replaced with silent anger. A pain rattled her chest, and her mind went quickly to anger. She couldn't help but think of when they neglected to call her on the Wax Stan case, but held back the rest of her scolding despite her blood boiling. He really went off on his own for this and nearly ended up getting killed! AGAIN.

"I-I didn't want to tell you about it because you were too busy dealing with Stan and Bud. It didn't make sense to bother you with something else," he explained, avoiding eye contact. Mabel looked nervously between the two, fumbling with her fingers. She figured Y/n would be upset, but the sudden shift into this cold tone startled her nonetheless.

"'Bother me?'" She asked incredulously, a shrill edge evident in her voice. She tried to level herself before continuing. "All I've asked you to do is just tell me what's happened. Just tell me. A quick 'Oh Y/n this is happening today' or a 'Hey! You'll never guess what happened?' Is that too much? Hell, you weren't even going to tell me about Gideon if I didn't come up with this ice!"