Chapter Five: Gravity Falls' Loch Ness Monster

Hi guys! Sorry for the late upload! I got caught up in an extended-AP-review-turned-surprise-birthday-party.

Speaking of which, I have a bunch of AP tests coming up in the next couple of weeks— my first being this Tuesday— so if I miss an upload date I'm sorry! I should be fine (I try to be ~5 chapters ahead of the one I'm posting) but Idk how the testing situation is going to affect me this year. Last year I was so stressed that I had sleep paralysis nearly every night lol.

Hope you enjoy this week's chapter! Share, vote, and comment if you can; it's always appreciated! :D

-Cipher
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Y/n and the twins had learned the hard way that Stan's idea of a "family fun day" wasn't that much fun at all. It wasn't the first time they had a bonding-type of time together— well, if you could call a night in the county jailhouse a "bonding" experience. The trio was just grateful that it wasn't counterfeiting or anything else illegal today.

The lake was filled with the townspeople. Boats littered the glittering water, and playful shouts rang out from boat to boat as families celebrated their catches. It was actually a rather beautiful day; a nice breeze grazed the water and offered solace in the otherwise scorching day. The sun was nestled high in the sky, and clouds barely did so much as tickle its curves. As much as the trio hated to admit it, it was a great day to spend on the lake.

But, after the experience of having Stan— who was practically blind, as the kids learned in the middle of the ride— drive them to the lake blindfolded, all they really wanted was a nice day to themselves to help cope with nearly facing death. Not fishing on a tiny boat that rivaled the quality of the creatures in the shop.

"The 'Stan-o' War?'" Y/n asked, eying the boat suspiciously. It was barely floating on the water, and the motor Stan tied to it was close to falling off. There was no way that boat could fit all four of them without breaking halfway from the piling dock.

"Yep! Made her myself," Stan boasted, slapping it's hull proudly.

Y/n flinched, ready at any moment for the boat to fall apart and drop Stan into the lake. "Yeah," she laughed nervously, "I can see that."

"Speaking of craftsmanship," he continued, reaching into a fishing pouch tucked underneath his seat. "I made you three these! Pines Family Fishing Hats!" He threw three bucket hats to the kids, each with their names sewn onto the front.

Y/n's brow raised as the twins eyed each other. The colors of the letters were all over the place, and she wondered if he had taken them from Mabel's craft kit. The stitching was everywhere— cross stitch, ladder stitch, stitching she didn't even know the name off— it was just like the exhibits in the shack. He needs to take lessons from Mabel.

But, despite this, Y/n couldn't help but smile. Especially when she noticed that it was her name sewn on the front, and not Squirt. It almost made her feel like she belonged.

Mabel and Dipper's hats were the same, and while Mabel was silently criticizing the stitching on a much more expert level than Y/n had, Dipper was wondering how Stan managed to sew letters backwards without noticing anything wrong.

"Come on, kids," Stan said, "the fish aren't going to wait for us! It's just gonna be us four on this boat for 10 hours!"

"T-ten hours?!" Dipper stuttered, as his two sisters paled.

"Yep! I brought the joke book!" Stan sang, revealing the small red book from his life jacket.

"Oh hell no," Y/n muttered under her breath.

The trio glanced wearily at each other, silently wondering who was going to sacrifice their dryness first and join Stan in the boat. Well, in reality, it was between Dipper and Mabel. Based on the look on Y/n's face, it was obvious that she was going to milk the excuse that she "couldn't get her cast wet" for every drop it had.

"There has to be a way out of this," Mabel whispered to the two of them.

"Oh come on! Don't make me get out and force you three. I will; don't test me," Stan said, making an attempt to get out of the boat.