052; the police station

third person.

it had been almost three days since monica had last heard anything of her daughter, and even longer for the people located in her hometown. max had been far too worried to sleep and every meal astrid made for him, he only picked at until handing it back to her.

monica had been staying with the two of them, of course astrid hadn't left the boy's side just in case he needed someone or if something were to happen, but monica was there just so she could lecture her daughter if she were to return and had made little communication with her son at all.

"max," astrid called out, walking over to the couch where he was sitting before handing him his phone, "it's ringing."

he nodded, thanking her before taking his phone and accepting the call, bringing it up to his ear as monica looked over at the pair, "hello?"

and while the two watched max listen to the other end of the line, a confused look appeared on both of their faces while max's mouth dropped open slightly, immediately standing up and grabbing his jacket and car keys.

"i'll be there in a half hour, thank you," max said, ending the call and throwing his phone onto the couch while putting on the jacket he grabbed.

"well?" astrid asked, "what was it?"

"mollie's at the police station," he replied.

"why didn't i get that call?" monica asked him, "she's my-"

"because i've always done this," max interrupted his mom, looking over at her as she frowned, "but they said you need to come with me."

"they don't know who i am."

"they said her mom needs to come." max shrugged before he moved his head towards astrid, "are you alright on your own for a little?"

"yeah i'll be fine." she nodded.

"are you sure?"

"go get your sister," astrid told him with a small smile on her face, "she needs you."

"she's fine," monica said, walking out the front door as max rolled his eyes, placing a quick kiss on astrid's forehead before following his mom to the car, "why is she at the police station anyway?"

"theft," he said as they got into his car, "probably your car but i'll get the answer out of her when i see her."

"that's why they want me there," monica told him, "because it's my car."

"most likely," max shrugged, pulling out of the driveway and beginning to make the drive towards the station.

the drive there was uncomfortable, with max and monica spending the majority of it arguing, it was safe to say they arrived at the station on bad terms with each other, hoping mollie would be the one to make the situation a little better than what it was.

but upon arrival as max pulled into a parking space, he noticed the sudden nerves monica had gained as she began to play with the ring on her finger, avoiding looking in max's direction while he watched her.

"why are you nervous? we're here for mollie not you." max told her, getting out of his car and already beginning to make his way into the building.