Chapter 26

“I’m sorry for making you guys go through all of this.”

I turned to give my brother a look of confusion mixed with horror.

“This isn’t your fault Ethan.”

“I should have just stayed in, I didn’t have to go out but I was too stubborn for my own good and I did.” He said with a dejected look making me move closer to his bed so I could hold his hand.

He looked so fragile and I’d been trying my best not to cry since I’d been sitting beside him because I didn’t want to scare him more than he already was.

“There’s no point in dwelling on what was and what could have been E, we just have to focus on you getting better so I can finally beat your ass in COD again.” I teased him making him smile.

“I have a feeling that I’m going to beat you the next time we play.”

“We’ll see about that won’t we?” I told him before ruffling his hair which made him scowl at me.

We settled in another comfortable silence before he spoke up again.

“I want you to promise me something Fifi.”

“What?”

“Promise me that no matter what happens, you’ll be happy again.” He said making me frown.

“Why are you asking me to do that? You know the only thing that can make me happy again is if you get better. I just want my little brother back.”

“Sometimes we don’t always get what we want Fifi.” He said with a smile and for a while, I saw an older version on my little brother and it scared me.

“Ethan, what’s going on?”

He looked at me and his smile was replaced with a brighter one.

“Nothing. I just want you to be happy again because I miss the old version of you, the one that existed before that awful night happened. I want that version of my sister back.”

“She’s sitting right here waiting for her little brother to get well.” I told him with a huge smile trying hard to cry.

“Well if she’s here, can she help me get me some chocolates. I’m craving them so bad.” He asked with a pout making me roll my eyes at him.

“I don’t think you’re allowed to have them.” I told him with a small laugh.

“Oh come on Fifi, what my doctor and nurses don’t know won’t hurt them. I feel like I might die if I don’t have chocolates.”

“First of all, don’t joke with that word because it’s not funny and before you cry, I’ll go get some for you but you better not rat me out when they ask where you got them from.” I said pointing a finger at him.

“Scouts honor.” He said raising his right palm up which just made me shake my head at him with a smile.

I pushed my hair backwards and got up but his hand was quick to wrap around my wrist which made me give him a confused look.

“I love you so much Fifi. You’re the best sister ever!” He said with a huge smile and for a moment I was worried but his eyes gave nothing away so I smiled back before hugging him.

“I love you too twerp. You’re an okay brother.” I teased him which just made his body shake with laughter.

“I’m your only brother.”