Chapter 30

“I see your boyfriend isn’t here this morning.” I said to my sister as I  grabbed a plate of bacon and eggs that she made and moved to sit down.

“Did you just call Derek my boyfriend?” She asked with a raised eyebrow making me shrug at her.

“What happened to baby daddy?” She asked with a small smile and I rolled my eyes at her.

Last night, I went to the kitchen to get a glass of water before going to bed and on my way back to my room, I saw Derek tucking my sister in and placing a kiss on her head and I couldn’t help the smile that crept up on my face. I could tell how much he loved her and if I was being honest with myself, it was obvious he was trying.

Unfortunately for me, I was too slow in turning around so he caught me staring and smiled at me to which I returned. I finally told him that I was free after school today and he suggested that we get ice-cream to which I agreed and that was how my mission to be a bad cop became an epic fail.

“Derek and I spoke yesterday and we decided to call a truce so today, we’re getting ice cream after school.” I told her before shoving a mouth of bacon in my mouth.

She gave me a huge smile before walking towards me and wrapping me in a tight hug.

“I’m trying to eat here Debby, stop choking me.” I told her but she ignored me.

“Thank you for doing that, it really means a lot to me.” She said before finally releasing me.

“Its fine, it’s the least I could do since it seems like he’ll be around for a while and I’d hate for it to be awkward plus my friends said I’m really bad at being mean.” I told her and she laughed at my last statement.

“Your friends were right, you’ve always been a huge softie since you were little. I remember the time Ethan pulled the head off your dolls and you swore you would never talk to him again, I saw you guys laughing thirty minutes after.”

“He offered me ice cream as a peace offering, it was a hopeless case.” I said before we both burst into laughter.

“I’m glad we can talk about him without being so sad.” She said and I smiled at her.

“Me too.”

“Derek and I aren’t dating.” She said again and I gave her a confused look.

“What do you mean? Isn’t he the father of your child?”

“He is. We broke up when he left and no matter how hard I try not to let it show, it still hurts when I look at him but somehow I’m still in love with him. I told him to let us take things slowly because I wouldn’t want this baby to be the only reason for us to get back together again.”

“Does that mean I don’t have to hang out with him?”

“No Fifi, I’d really like for you to hang out with him and he would like that too.”

“Are you guys going to get back together then?”

“I don’t know sis.”

“I saw how you guys were with each other yesterday morning and lovey dovey and all, it’s obvious that you guys are still crazy about each other and even though I might never forgive him for leaving you, at least he’s willing to try.” I told her with a1 small smile.

“So much for being the bad cop.” She teased and I just rolled my eyes at her.

“You guys need to figure out your shit before my niece or nephew comes which reminds me, when are you finding out the gender of your baby?” I asked and her eyes were filled with excitement again.