Chapter 3

They were at it again.

Screaming their lungs out at each other and even my music couldn’t block them out.

I finally had enough and threw on my hoodie and slipped in my vans before grabbing my phone and walking out.

As usual, they didn’t notice my departure and I was grateful because it meant I didn’t have to explain to them where I was going.

I plugged in my earpiece and made my way to my safe haven, the park.

It was a ten minute walk from my house and I liked to count it as my way of exercising since I was horrible when it came to doing any form of exercise.

As soon as I arrived, I made my way towards the big tree at the corner of the park while avoiding the excited children running around and trying to catch themselves.

I smiled at the sight and wished I could go back to being little.

Then I wouldn’t have to worry about anything, not my parent’s constant arguments, not my constant nightmares, nothing of such.

Just constant joy.

But that was a very huge wish and it couldn’t happen so I closed my mind at the thought and made my way to the big tree and sat down.

The leaves of the tree made a perfect shade from the sunlight so I closed my eyes and let the music carry me away.

Just as I was about to fall asleep, I felt someone tap me.

I opened my eyes and let out a loud groan.

“Nice to see you too gumdrops.” He said smiling down at me.

“What is it with you and the nicknames?” I asked with a scowl.

“I don’t know. I guess I just like getting a reaction from you. You always cringe when I call you those names.”

“Because they’re horrible names.”

“Really? I thought most girls like the pet names and all of that.” He asked with a raised eyebrow before sitting beside me and I knew he wasn’t leaving soon.

Just great!

“I’m not most girls.” I said rolling my eyes.

“I figured. You neither act nor dress like one.” He said eyeing my outfit.

“If you’re here to insult me then please leave.” I said with a frown.

“It wasn’t an insult.” He said with raised arms and I just gave him a blank look.

He dropped his hands and sighed.

“I’m sorry if you took it like that but I swear it wasn’t an insult. It was more like a compliment.” He said softly.

“How is saying I don’t act and dress like most girls a compliment?” I asked him with a raised eyebrow.

“Well most girls are only bothered about how they look, what they eat and all that but you don’t and that’s what I like about you.” He said staring at me and I could feel my cheeks redden under his intense gaze and his compliment.

“Thanks.” I said quietly and avoided his gaze.

“Sure. Now are you going to tell me what you’re doing here?” He asked resting his back on the tree so our shoulders were brushing each other and I tried to ignore the warmth coming from his body.

“Not until you tell me how you found me.” I said glaring at him and he just let out a light chuckle.

“You always find a way to turn things back to me.” He said shaking his head and I just shrugged and stared at him to talk.