Chapter 32

Alex’s figure was the first thing I saw running towards Justin while Rosa all but flew towards her brother.

Suddenly the paramedics were there in a flash while Justin was groaning in pain.

His ankle was twisted in a way that made his feet point in the sideway direction instead of straight and it didn’t look like the leg belonged to a human being.

I was still frozen in my spot as I tried to replay what just happened in my head.

One minute, Justin was heading for home run and the next he was being pummeled which was normal. The only thing abnormal about what just happened was the second person who came out from the other side and went straight for his leg.

I searched the field to see the person responsible for that being held back by his teammates while members of Roseville tried to hit him.

I might not know anything about football but I knew that what happened was against the rules and whatever he did was as a result of a personal vendetta and not because of football.

“Fiona!” I heard my name being called and I turned to see that everyone had left the bleachers and was making their way towards the exit.

I saw Justin being carried by the paramedics followed by a crying Rosa.

“We have to go to the hospital.” Emily shouted and I nodded before running towards them as we all filed out of the stadium.

Emily and I rode with Vee and the twins while Joshua who had left the game drove Alex and Lauren in his car while Rosa went with the ambulance.

The vibration of my phone caused me to pull it out of my pocket to see a message from Louis.

Lulu: I’m not a bad teacher, you’re just a bad student...

Lulu: ...who isn’t interested in learning about football.

Lulu: We both know the only reason you go to the field is so you can drool over Alex which I assume you’re probably doing right now since you’re not replying me.

Lulu: Seriously Fifi, have you got it that bad? He isn’t even playing today.

Me: Justin just broke his leg and it’s not looking good. We’re on our way to the hospital right now so I’ll let you know when we know anything else.

I typed quickly and sent it to him before locking my phone.

“That dude obviously hit Justin on purpose! He should be arrested or disqualified from football forever.” Zoe said with her voiced laced with anger but I could also hear the fear in them.

Justin was like her elder brother so I could tell she was insanely worried.

I looked at Emily to see the same look on her face while her legs kept shaking.

I placed my hand on her lap and gave her a reassuring smile when she met my gaze.

She gave me a small nod before looking outside the window again.

“Let’s just pray he’s alright first.” Vee said to her daughter, not taking her eyes off the road before the car was completely engulfed in silence.

As soon as we got to the hospital, we all got out in a flash and it wasn’t until I was ten steps away from the hospital that it hit me and I completely froze.

I hadn’t been in the hospital since Ethan died and this place didn’t exactly hold good memories for me. There was no way I was going in.

Emily was about to go in when she realised I wasn’t behind her anymore and turned to look at me.