Chapter 15

Exams were finally over and I couldn’t be happier.

The guys had a game tonight so the girls and I decided to go home to freshen up a bit before going but Emily had to wait behind to hand some stuffs before going home.

“We’ll pick you up by 6:30 okay?” Rosa said as I got down from the car and I nodded before waving at the both of them and walking up to my house.

The noise coming from my house caused me to stop at the door.

As usual, I expected to hear my mum and dad’s voice but this time around they weren’t shouting at each other, their raised voices were directed at someone else.

I gently opened the door and walked into the living room to see my sister sitting and my parents standing in front of her. They both had looks of disappointment on their faces and my sister had a sad but determined look on her face.

“I’m keeping it and if you guys are against that then I’m leaving.” She told them with a tone of finality.

That sentence made reality hit me at once.

She's pregnant.

It suddenly became pretty obvious even though I just realized it. She was glowing and the constant baggy clothes she wore was just to hide her stomach.

My mum shook her head and turned around to look at me. I saw the tears in her eyes and my dad just shook his head before they both turned to walk out.

Then I was left with my sister and everything became awkward.

I stood there for a while before walking to sit next to her.

“I’m pregnant.” She told me in a low voice and I just nodded.

“I figured.” I told her.

“When?” She asked turning to look at me but I didn’t meet her gaze, I kept staring straight ahead.

“Just now. I just pieced the puzzle together, you normally don’t wear baggy clothes and you’re actually glowing but now that I think about it, you always get up early in the morning to the bathroom and you’ve been eating crackers more than you usually do,” I paused before finally turning to look at her, “How in the world didn’t I notice this sooner?” I asked myself.

“Well you haven’t said more than two words to me since I got back but I’m surprised you actually noticed all of that.” She told me with a small smile.

“You’re not exactly tiny so it’s hard not to notice you.” I told her softly before looking away again.

It was awkward and that’s something we never were.

“So who’s the father?” I asked her after a while.

“He’s not in the picture.” She said flatly which made me turn to look at her.

“He’s my boyfriend—or was. I’m not really sure.” She said with a bitter laugh which made me narrow my eyes at her.

“When I told him, he freaked out, said he wasn’t ready to be a father and left. I kept calling him for a week and when I realized he wasn’t coming back, I packed my stuffs and came back here because I didn’t exactly have anywhere else to go.” She said before breaking down in tears.

I immediately moved and wrapped my arm around her so she could cry into my shoulder.

“It’s okay Debs, you know your family will always be here for you.” I told her running my hands through her hair softly.

“Mum and Dad aren’t exactly thrilled about it.” She said sniffling.

“They’ll come around but until then, I’m here for you. Your so called boyfriend is a huge coward but don’t worry, you don’t need him because you have me,” I told her with a genuine smile, “you'll always have me.”