Chapter 4: Curiosity

Utsushimi Camie had only just started her second year... And around a month in, she had effectively wrecked her Hero costume. Of course, it was mostly a padded jumpsuit, but it was a high-quality one. The fact that it had its fair share of rips and tears was a pain, but now the heels of her boots had nearly been cracked through. It wasn't that she was procrastinating getting her costume repaired... Though, in her case, that might be untrue, but it was also because she couldn't find the time. Until it was too late. A nearly bad fall spelled the absolute need for repairs. So, after classes had passed and the final school bell rang, she made her way to the Support Course's workshop with it in her Hero-case.

It was a Saturday, meaning every student was clearing out for the welcomed break. This is why the halls were practically vacant with only the random group here and there. The path from the classrooms to the Support Course's workshop always felt off. After all, normally, there would be windows or glass doors to show the well-maintained quad and courtyard beyond. However, the halls towards the workshop grew more reinforced while windows became a thing of the past. It made sense, but that didn't stop her uneasiness.

The Support Course's heavy-duty doors were the tale-tell sign of her arrival. She looked to the light beside the entrance's frame. A light system that could switch from red to green, signifying whether or not it was occupied. It was green, so someone was inside. She nodded to herself before pushing on one of the doors. Luckily, it was unlocked, but, unluckily, it was as heavy as she remembered. She grunted as she pressed her hands against the door, "This is why I asked for help..." Her school-issued shoes gave way before the door. A sigh escaped her lips as she leaned against it.

Camie blinked as she heard music on the other side. She expected something like punk rock or metal but found that had a bit more of a bump to it. Not something to dance wildly over, but something to jam to. "Pretty loud..." – if she could hear it through the doors. Though, someone was definitely in there, so she had to get their attention. She looked about the frame once more and found a white button along the right side of the frame. She pressed her finger against the button a few times. She could hear the buzzing ring on the other side of the metal doors. It was a moment or two before the music turned down; it was another moment before the metal doors budged.

It was a guy that pushed the door. He opened it with a single arm before sticking out his foot to hold it there. He was about five centimeters taller than her. His face was hidden behind a decorated welder's mask that seemed happy to see her. The top half of his jumpsuit was tied around his waist, unveiling a tank-top on his torso. On his feet, he had a pair of red shoes that definitely weren't in line with the dress code.

He pulled up his mask, "Um, can I help you?" In turn, his freckled face was revealed—younger than her, no doubt. His eyes seemed... "H-Hello?"

She blinked before she brushed some of her locks from her face, smiling, "Sorry, I'm just here to put a request through."

"Oh, uh, the terminal's over there," he jerked his thumb towards the back of the room, shifting out of her way.

Camie nodded, "Right." She stepped past him, "Thanks for getting the door."

He nodded with a shrug, "No problem." Both left the door to swing shut. She moved to walk alongside the opposite side of the row of metal tables to him. He came to a stop before she did, sitting before a strange metal contraption. She continued until the end of the room, stopping at the terminal.

She tapped on the screen only for it to beep back at her with a red text box, "Huh?"

He held his mask up, "Oh, is it locked?"

"Yeah, looks it..." she grumbled. "What a pain."

He frowned slightly, "Ah, uh, sorry." He then rubbed the back of his neck, "You could leave your costume—for a repair, right? I'll just submit the request for you."