Chapter 22: A Study in Dramaturgy

It was hard to describe. The scar across Izuku's chest was bearable before. He was sitting and at most walking for the past... day? However, now, he was acutely aware of how his skin stretched across moving tissue and still bone. A taut fabric now laid from collarbone, across chest, to waist. With such, came a pang of fear of that material ripping. Rationale dictated that that wouldn't happen. The trained and trusted doctors were the ones who suggested therapy now, one of them being a Pro-Hero. But, even the slightest possibility was enough to drive intrusive and irrational fears far.

"Come on, Savior!" cried a young woman with a shark-toothed grin, a fin atop of her head, and hair shaped like a fish-tail. This was Sameko Hana, the Sharp-Toothed Hero: Sharkbait.

A large, bulky man, with pointy pompadour and a goatee, slapped his bicep, "Fight, little man!" Sensoji Arata, the Firing Hero: Mr. Blaster.

"Zzz..." A lady with curly hair and ram-horns was just sleeping on the bench press next to him. Shinya Onemu, the Climbing Hero: Aries.

A big, stout man put his fists on his hips, shaking his head, "You know, you guys should be focusing on your own therapies instead bothering the kid." Hashida Itaru, the Bullet Hero: Bigshot.

Though, Izuku was finding the audience, somehow, worse.

The trainer, Tochi Moyuru, didn't seem bothered in the slightest, "Guess you got some fans, huh?"

Izuku couldn't help but blush at all the attention. With the discomfort of flesh, a blazing face, and static engulfing his mind, he tapped out, getting a small break from his coach. Thanks to well made progress, he was allowed his five minutes. And, thankfully, with the show over, the Bigshot was able to disperse the audience, but not without some words of encouragement. Apart from the sleeping one, of course.

Izuku recognized all of them; they were Team Idaten sidekicks – much like most in this therapy gym. They either carried bandaged arms or legs with a limp for accompaniment. They were all a part of the operation to take down Stain, but were only injured by him in the process. The injury invited kinship and the rescuing of Ingenium brought admiration. Despite the embarrassment, being acknowledged by Pro-Heroes was fuel to his pyre. Looks, nods, greetings, and even the occasional praise was a surprising gift from people so extraordinary. He was even tempted to ask a few of them for their autographs. But, well, considering what led to them all being here, it doesn't seem to be the right time for something like that.

"You just can't help yourself, huh... Deku...?"

A chill shivered down his face, raking over his spine. The cold water was not kind to sensitive skin – like nails dragged down chalk. The exercise didn't warm him enough to deserve the cold, but that shut the damn voice up.

"It is a bit intoxicating... though..." thought Izuku with a chuckle escaping his lips.

Izuku was sitting up on the bench press – partially wet, trying to be quiet as to let the sleeping lie. He fidgeted with a water bottle which allowed his eye to land on that discolored thumb of his. It felt fine or normal with the exception of a twitch or phantom pain. With feelings spared, appearance was the only real concern. It had a shade of grey to it and he noticed that it was a bit skinnier – knuckle and bone protruding a bit more than before. It was minimal – the only reason he knew was because it was his thumb.

Same with his body. Izuku could tell he was thinner than before. Side effects from Recovery Girl's Quirk, he was certain. He could regain it, but... if he was going to go through with it, he was going to have to put in a ton of extra effort.

Speaking of which, "Mr. Midoriya, I see the heat might be getting to ya, huh?" Tochi said, "You're getting pretty used to those bells, so we're gonna pick up the pace, alright?"