Chapter 28: An Honest Life is Hard

After Izuku primed the metal's surface, he began to spray-paint it: a muted, deep blue. He adjusted the respirator on his face as he added a few finishing sprays. These metal panels were then linked, riveted, and screwed together over the mechanical workings. The wooden neck was slotted into place with a tang before he slowly and steadily strung the guitar. Tuning it took longer than the whole assembling process. He knew he lacked the knowledge and no-how to do it so he tried to use a faithful laptop to help. However, trying to use the microphone on a laptop to tune doesn't work in an active workshop. An innocent bang of a hammer or the sizzle of a weld threw off any attempt. So, he had to rely on his own untrained ear which started a cycle of wondrous self-doubt.

"Fuck it... Sorry, Jirou you're gonna have to tune your own guitar..." he sighed. "If you even want it..." He picked up the guitar from his station, adjusting it in his hands. Its anatomy was based on a basic electric guitar but with a block-like shape. It had frets, position markers, pick-ups, a pick-up switch – did he know what they really did? No, not really, but the blueprints he was working off of had them so that's what he did. Is that plagiarism? "I don't think so... the whole process is pretty well, publicly documented..."

Izuku slipped off his stool and took a step away. Then, instead of twisting the volume dial, he pressed down until it clicked. The hydraulics within hissed before spun it in his hands, holding it purely by the neck. He took a deep breath before raising the weapon and giving a mock-swing. The hydraulics buzzed before a section of the guitar jutted out via pistons, rocking his momentum backwards. A smirk marked his face before he tightened his grip once more. He reached over and flicked the Whammy-Arm, causing something within to whirl to life.

Izuku's smirk turned to grin as blue electricity arced across the body's surface. He kept it balanced before moving to press his palm across all of the tuning keys. A bit more pressure and they all clicked downwards, causing a light to blink just beside them – another buzz before the sparks went silent.

He then reached and pressed the volume dial twice; followed by the hydraulics hissing, "Wireless link between body and head for ease of control..." He set it back down, rubbing the back of his neck, "This thing can really do damage... Hope she likes it..."

"Mr. Midoriya, I see you've finished your Support Arm," said Mr. Abraham.

Izuku nodded, "Yeah..." He then reached underneath his station, "Now, to finish up on my own..."

Mr. Abraham blinked, "The Warhammer? It looks different..."

"Well, I got the approval of the Board, so... I decided to give it a bit of an upgrade." He twirled it in his hand, "It was more like a sword, but I don't know how to use that."

"Now, it's more like a bat."

Izuku nodded, "Same concept, same zap. Just simplified." He pinched the first ring of the handle before twisting it, "But, just in case..." The mechanics hissed before the thick base extended to its previous length, "We can return to form."

Mr. Abraham said, "I see." He tapped on his tablet, "You've also submitted a name change..."

"'Mashi', after the first Japanese Baseball player, Murakami Masanori."

"Fitting," smiled Mr. Abraham. "Have you selected which Hero you'll be studying under?"

Izuku's jaw tightened, "I'm... I'm close to figuring it out..." He pushed a smile, "Soon though."

Mr. Abraham frowned, "Well, I would recommend that you refrain from procrastinating. Not only does this have to be approved, but we'll need to contact said Hero for confirmation."

Izuku turned away, biting the inside of his cheek, "I will sir." As Mr. Abraham walked away, he scratched his cheek, "I need to narrow this down... Someone that might be in Stain's sights..."