Chapter 35: Hold Onto Something

Yu didn't bother to hide the look of disgust that she aimed at the dilapidated building. It was definitely an apartment building once upon time – couldn't house more than six occupants. It had a small lot surrounding it meant for vehicles and a waist-high, brick fence that clearly defined its perimeter. All in which were not gracefully experiencing the test of time. The paint had chipped here and there; wood endured festering rot while the concrete and asphalt cracked, allowing buds of green to peek through.

Yu pushed her hands into her jacket's pockets. "We're in the middle of suburbia... Why the hell is a place like this still standing...?"

"We're going to check out this building," announced Kamui. "There was a complaint filed with the local police last night. About random people going in and out of the place." He produced a key from his pocket and unlocked the gate in the brick fence. "This building is owned by the History Preservation Society – it's a look and don't touch."

"Preservation?" echoed Ashido. "Sorry, Mr. Woods, but this place is falling apart."

Midoriya stepped forward, hooking his thumbs in his belt straps. "They're making a statement."

"About what?"

Shinso knocked a knuckle against a plaque that was nailed into the brick fence. "It's a Quirk-Containment Complex."

Midoriya stepped through the gate, following Kamui. "Those heavy-duty shutters are a dead giveaway."

Ashido recoiled a bit as Shinso stepped through. "Oh my god..." She then followed suit. "So, what? They're keeping it to rot?"

"The old ideas rot away before our very eyes," said Kamui. "We've left the 'out of sight; out of mind' mentality, and traded it in for a more accepting society."

"Is it even safe to go inside?" asked Yu as she swung the gate shut behind her.

"For normal people? No." Kamui wasn't focused on her, but the interns before him, lecturing on and on. "Which is why people like us need to make sure they don't get themselves hurt. A rule, however: don't wonder off and stay close together."

Yu waved her hand as she leaned against the brick fence. "I'll stand guard out here." She shrugged, "Lot's about big enough for me to stand and grow; if we need to scare some children." She let slip a mocking tone towards the end of her sentence.

Kamui was definitely fighting back a sigh. "That'll be fine. A group of four is more than enough to look around a place like this."

"I don't know how I feel about keeping a place like this around..." muttered Ashido.

Midoriya shrugged, "At least, it's a glorified museum piece. A few of these complexes are actually still in use."

"Seriously?"

Shinso nodded, "Yeah, back when I was living with my Dad, the ads make out the shutter thing as 'high-end' security."

Midoriya recoiled, "That's... awful..."

"It's pretty gross," said Ashido.

"And stupid from a business standpoint." One orb on his visor flattened while the other widened into a large circle. "It's the same line they spat to get people to move into these places. That and record-low rent."

Kamui chuckled, "It's so nice to see that all of you are so educated."

Yu smirked, crying out from the fence. "That's an old person's line!" She pointed at him like she was a toddler on a playground. "You sound old!"

It was his turn to recoil now; everyone gets one. "No, it isn't." He looked around at the interns. "I'm not!"

"I didn't say anything," stated Shinso.