Chapter 23: Underdog

Mrs. Midoriya, Mr. Midoriya, I'm glad to say that, with future visits in mind, we will be discharging you from the hospital today."

Izuku and Inko stepped forward, looking to the luggage case left on the hospital bed. It was flanked by two police officers. One said, "Your belongings." He patted the top of it, "There's not much of a case - at least, we don't need evidence for it." He opened it and Izuku looked through it. The 'Maneuver Belt' sat atop of it all; condition was good. Though, he could feel the crackling flakes of dried blood on the fabric and metal. He set it in the open top of the case before looking at the suit underneath it. The gash across its torso was obvious with his own blood staining it. There was a ripple up the back of his neck before he looked over his shoulder. Inko wasn't looking at him, but staring past him. The suit was set back down before the belt was resettled and case closed.

Izuku smiled at the officers, "Thanks." He lifted the case off the bed, "Sorry, if it was any trouble at all."

"Not at all." He leaned against the foot of the bed, "I understand why you'd want that back." He chuckled, "Seems like one hell of toy."

Inko stepped forward quickly, taking the case handle, "Excuse me - we should be leaving."

The officer blinked as Inko made a quick turn, "Oh, of course..." Izuku flashed a smile before quickly following his mother out the door. "Did I say something wrong?"

"Probably," answered his partner. "You are an idiot," she clarified.

"I'm sure you're quite excited to get back out there, but please don't strain yourself too much." He added, "Dr. Yaritezawa at Shiketsu Academy has agreed to continue your physical therapy, and they have more than enough equipment to facilitate it."

Izuku laughed as he jogged down the road, leaving the building's parking lot. "Freedom!", he cried, pumping his fists into the air. His mom was mix of embarrassed and amused, giggling while hushing him. He was dressed in a spare shirt and shorts - old stuff from the family apartment - alongside that big yellow backpack. His smile waned as she held the briefcase close. He paused before scratching the back of his head. He closed the difference before nudging his mom, "Hey, once we drop these off at my dorm, why don't we get something to eat?" He sneaked his hand onto the briefcase's handle, lifting it slightly before she slowly relinquished it, "It's almost lunch, after all."

"R-Right..." She slowly pushed up a smile, "What did you have in mind?"

Izuku blinked, chuckling, "Uh... Actually, I don't know what's around here to eat..." He scratched his cheek, "The only place I know is... a jazz cafe."

"Oh, a jazz cafe?" She tilted her head, "Is that what the kids are into nowadays?"

"I..." His face contorted before he tilted his head, "I have no idea what anyone's into, honestly." He tucked a hand into his pocket, "But, after all that hospital food, I kinda want something greasy..."

"I don't think that's the best idea," she countered. "We should stick to something healthy." Izuku feigned disappointment and took the amused scolding on the chin.

"Now, before you leave, Mr. Midoriya, I do want to say what you did was brave, and in a world filled with Heroes, I'm sure it felt almost natural to rush into danger to protect Mr. Iida." A sigh, "But..."

Izuku laid the case on his dorm's dinner table before turning to meet his mother at the door. "Are you sure you want to keep something like that?" They left the dorm, locking the door behind them. "We could've left that in the hands of the police." She fought the frown, forming on her face, "I mean... Having something like that... It's... stained..."