Chapter 6: Joint-Assignment

Midoriya Izuku was lagging behind in "Mr. Abraham's Traveling Circus of/for Engineering Students..." The teacher seemed giddy while his students tried to match, but they had a sense of confusion dampening them. The class was a way away from their workshop, their classic dwelling. If Izuku remembered correctly, some actually hissed as they were led into the hallway while others were stumbling about. Of course, those stumbling had the excuse of not taking off their welding masks for some reason. And funnily enough, none of those who hissed had lizard-like or cat-like Quirks.

Mr. Abraham's voice cut through his recollection, "Alright, everyone, some of you may have heard about this joint-assignment." He coughed as if for dramatic effect, "Now, the question is what's the assignment? To simply put, it is an introduction to a specialized path of study for Support Course students." His grin was practically audible, "Field Support! A surprisingly forgotten field. Once government officials, then the first sidekicks, to extensions of Support Companies. You all know what the career will ask of you. Which depends on the situation, the Hero, and your personal abilities: recon, capture, repairs, demolition, etc."

"Now, what are the objectives?" He explained, "You find two Hero Course students, a First Year and a Second Year, and sell your service. You will create Support items for them as well as yourselves." He smiled, waving his hand, "Then you all will participate in a three-on-three Combat-Sim that will be broadcasted to the entire student body during the Sports Festival."

He then added, "After your Midterms, you will be given complete access to the workshop until the Sports Festival. Meaning today is planning. The next three—four are studying. Then after Midterms, this assignment." They came to a stop before he spoke firmly, "Plan properly, work diligently, and you'll be okay." He straightened, "You're all brilliant students; I wouldn't give you this assignment this early in your year if I didn't believe it."

Mr. Abraham reached for the door, and took a breath, "Alright, let's go." Before he pushed open the metal doors to the gymnasium. Within, there were two other clusters of twenty; both were organized into rows and columns and were headed by another teacher.

Mr. Abraham nodded to his co-worker, "Mr. Haimawari! I'm assuming your students are informed." He looked about the floor, "Where's Mr. Sato?"

Mr. Haimawari shrugged, "Koichi is just fine, and Mr. Sato's in a meeting." He looked over his shoulder, "Mr. Shishikura, your class has been informed, right?"

Shishikura Seiji stepped forward; almost militant, "Yes, sir!"

"Now, everyone, please meet and discuss," called Mr. Abraham. "This decision will affect how you may perform out there, and how you make it may affect your team cohesion." He quickly pulled Koichi to the side as the groups of twenty froze for a moment. It was large group interaction, so there was a desire to stick close to those they knew. These situations are awkward and can last quite long; at least, until someone cracks the ice.

Izuku blinked when he saw his five-year-old self rush from the crowd. The younger him was smiling until he rushed to the side of a similarly aged Bakugo. The younger him was no longer smiling when an explosion sent him skidding back across the gym floor. Izuku's eyes narrowed for a moment before his ten-year-old self stepped forward. His steps were slow, his smile faltering, and his hands fidgeting. He wandered from group to group, hoping to find some vacant space. Looks of disapproval or disgust sent him backing away and onto the next. He'd find one eventually, one none too pleased with his presence. Izuku sighed as his hands found his pockets, glancing to his left. A version of himself, a year younger, stood still as his classmates merged and mingled. He waited for the groups to form and finalize. He waited for the teacher to notice his lack of a partner. Then he'd either sit out or be forced into some group. "Easiest way... Not intrusive... Unassuming..."