Chapter 31: Bitter Emotions Ignite

Kyoka ducked under a spar-bot's shot before throwing Orpheus upwards. Its head bent back; clocked out, crumbling to the ground. Her jack plugged into her cowl before heartbeat roared through the speakers upon her chest. The body of the sparking machine was turned into a projectile that ran over two others, destroying them both.

The arena's alarm blared before Mr. Haimawari spoke, "Good work, today, Earphone Jack." She turned to the Board, "You're maintaining your lead over Creati, but... you're not quite catching up with Cellophane." He advised, "Your issue's mobility now over damage. Since your mechanic's in the crowd, maybe you should have a chat with him about that."

Kyoka pulled Orpheus' strap free before throwing it across her torso and pulling it tight, "Gotcha, thanks, Mr. Haimawari." She turned, making her way over the bleachers. She was the last student to warm up before one-on-one spars started, which meant a short intermission.

"A grenade launcher!?" gasped Ashido. "That's so cool!"

"You think?" replied Midoriya. "It shouldn't be hard to build." They were both going through his notebook – a page on her, more than likely. "I can probably whip it up before we start internships. You won't get any training with it."

Despite her dark sclera, her gold irises beamed with excitement, "You can make it!?"

"Y-Yeah, I'll get started on it – I have your number so I'll keep you updated."

Her arms wrapped around his shoulders, "Thanks, Midori!"

His face quickly flushed as she hugged him, "H-Ha, ha... N-No p-problem...!"

"Jeez, don't squeeze him to death," chuckled Jirou as she plopped down next to them.

"I'm gonna get a grenade launcher!" pumped Ashido.

Jirou nodded, "Yes, yes, I heard." She then nudged Midoriya, "Did you hear what Mr. Haimawari said?"

He nodded, "The mobility issue, yeah..." He tapped his chin, "Hm..." His head teetered, "Well, I did have one idea..."

"Shoot, we have time," she replied with a shrug.

"So, you know how you can use soundwaves from your speakers as a sort of... wind attack?" asked Midoriya.

"Yeah."

He explained, "It's a horizontal force. So, if it's able to provide that much of a push horizontally, maybe it could be provided vertically."

"Like a super jump?"

"Yep, if it can be done, there's a dozen different ways you could continue it." He shrugged, "I mean, theoretically, you could even fly."

Jirou was aghast, "Fly?"

"Sonic waves could hit the ground and then bounce back up to catch you." His head teetered, "But we'd need to change your costume again."

Jirou's face contorted, "By how much?"

"Well, it would need to be built to catch the returning force... So, a cape... or a wing-suit sort of thing..." He shook his head, "However, this is just a theory right now, focusing on that super-jump will be easier."

"Alright..." She crossed her arms, "So, what, I lay down and let her rip?"

"Ya got ear plugs?" asked Midoriya.

"No."

"Then absolutely not." He explained, "I mean the resonance might cause the ground crack, damage your speakers, and potentially burst your eardrums."

Jirou slowly took that in, "O... k... What's your idea?"

"Well, you do have those speakers on your boots." He suggested, "If you kneel and use those, you can probably do a big front-flip."