005

You were still wandering the halls. You hadn't come across anyone yet, and you didn't want to find out what was behind any of the doors. Eventually, you'd come across the main room or something. You kept thinking about EJ and the way he acted toward you. He was gentle and didn't scare you at first as the others did. Jane didn't scare you. She just intimidated you plus she was very pretty.

You stare down at your boots watching the laces clink against the black leather. You were mesmerized by the way your dress flows around you. You feel weightless. You knew you were lost, just didn't want to admit it. You didn't want to call out for Jane either because you didn't want to draw unwanted attention toward yourself. You weren't even sure if you were supposed to be here. Or if you were supposed to go back to that dingy ass room.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

EJ's POV

I follow her as she wanders the mansion, seeming lost in her own little world, and lost quite literally.

Yeah because following her isn't creepy or anything Jack. Way to go. You want her to like you, not think you're some creep.

She's dressed in Jane's clothing, that style suits her. She looks pretty in all black.

Did I just say she was pretty?

I notice she's stopped walking and was staring right at me. I freeze and hope she didn't see me. But she did, and she was making her way toward me.

Shit, she's definitely going to think I'm a creep now. She's probably going to yell at me or something. I don't blame her. I should have said something sooner. Like "Are you lost?"... No Jack that's stupid. Of course, she's lost. Just add being an idiot to the list why don't you?

"Hey EJ, right? I guess I didn't see you there and walked right past you. I'm kind of lost."

She's not mad or scared? Maybe she didn't know I was following her.

"I um, I'm really hungry and I was hoping I could find a way outside before I attacked someone again. I really don't want to hurt anyone. Oh, but don't worry I won't hurt you. I just really need to get the hell out of this place."

She seems anxious as she rocks back and forth on her heels. She was fidgeting with the end of her dress.

"Yeah, you can just follow me. I'm going out hunting anyway. You can come with me so that way you don't get lost. These woods are dangerous and you'll need to find your way back to the mansion before dark."

Her face lights up and a smile spreads across her face. I haven't seen anyone smile at me in so long. It was weird and kind of nice at the same time?

"Thank you, EJ. I just need to eat something. I seriously feel myself losing control again."

She finally stops fidgeting and was waiting for me to show her the way. I'll make sure she eats and gets back safely. I really don't want to deal with the Rake or anything else out there.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

You have finally found someone to get you the hell out of here. EJ was kind enough to lead you out of this labyrinth. You seriously did not understand how anyone got around in this place.

It was quiet outside and the fresh air feels wonderful. It feels like you haven't breathed fresh air in forever. You walk alongside EJ and take in the details of his mask. You took in every detail regarding his presence as well. He notices you staring and you feel heat rise to the surface of your cheeks.

"O-Oh sorry, I didn't mean to stare. I was just looking at your mask."

He faces forward again and mumbles something you couldn't quite understand.

Oof- I struck a nerve there didn't I, my bad.

The two of you continue walking for a while until a familiar scent catches your attention. Your senses go on high alert and you take off running toward the scent. You had completely forgotten about EJ and him telling you stay close by so you don't get lost. But damn you were hungry.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

EJ's POV

I keep walking until I couldn't feel her presence anymore.

Where the hell did she go? I told her to stay close. Did I really think she'd listen to me? I don't even know what she is.

I inhale her lingering scent and take off running. I have to find her before anything bad happens. Slender is keeping her at the mansion for a reason, and he'd be royally pissed if I lost her.

I find her bent over an animal. Her eyes glowing bright (e/c). She has blood smeared across her lips. She leans back down toward the animal's neck and bites down.

Is she a vampire or something? She's clearly drinking its blood, but what the hell? I mean I guess I have no room to judge, I eat human organs after all.

She notices me staring and covers her face. Was she embarrassed or scared?

"I-I'm sorry. Please don't look at me. I'm a monster. I don't mean to do this, I don't want to do this. I was just so thirsty, I couldn't control myself."

She shakes and frantically wipes her mouth with her sleeve. I put my hands in my pockets and turn around to give her privacy. She wasn't a monster, but I understand how she feels.

I hear the leaves crunching a few minutes later signaling she was finished and making her way toward me.

"So you're the one who's been leaving the trail of dead animals throughout these woods?"

"Yeah."

She kicks the leaves which stirs up some dirt. She's embarrassed and flustered. I signal for her to follow me. I didn't need to hunt, I did that earlier. I just didn't want her out here by herself. I wanted an excuse to be near her. But she doesn't need to know that.

"You're not a monster."

"What?"

I look at her and slow my pace so I could walk beside her.

"I said you're not a monster. I don't know what you are, but you aren't a monster. You do what you have to do to survive. That's all anyone does in life. You don't have to be embarrassed or scared about it. I eat human organs, you drink blood from animals, who gives a shit."

She looks at me with a puzzled look.

Shit, did I just tell her that?

"Okay. Well, I guess you're right."

She starts to walk again and we make our way back to the mansion in silence. A comfortable silence. To me at least. I don't know about her, but she seems calmer now.