Chapter 28: Sam's Sacrifice

CHAPTER 28: SAM'S SACRIFICE

There was a moment of darkness around Sam. Suddenly, a bright light flooded his eyes and as his eyes focused, he saw the beach around him. It was a real mess. The Summer Huts were scorched.

"Oh no! So when we entered the portal that brought us to Earth, everything was real?!" Sam exclaimed in a tone that only the Andersons could hear. "And where's Jane?" Sam asked.

"She's okay. She left with Dave right before you woke up. Sam, I'm not much of a genius but if you tell her what she thinks she dreamt, I think she'll believe you after all, how do you know what's in her dreams?" John advised.

"You're a genius!" Sam exclaimed.

"It might work" George said.

"C'mon George, might? You're beginning to sound like John back in the twisted world" Sam said.

Suddenly, Sam spotted Dave with Jane. They hadn't left the beach but they were way up ahead.

"Jane! Jane! Wait up!" Sam called to her at the top of his voice.

Dave and Jane stopped walking and turned to face him.

"What do you want?!" Jane said angrily.

"Jane, there's something I've got to tell you" Sam said.

"What?! More lies?!" Jane began to yell.

"Yeah, what do you want?!" Dave intruded.

"Dave, you're already on my list. Don't make it worse" Sam whispered in a menacing tone.

Dave recalled the Golden Dragon.

"I'll leave you two" Dave began to walk away but Jane grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

"Stay!" she commanded. "And you! Don't you ever threaten my boyfriend again!" Jane scolded.

Sam took a couple of steps back.

"Boyfriend?!" Sam exclaimed as the words hit him full in the face.

"Yes, Dave and I are dating" Jane suddenly changed her tone. "Now leave me alone!"

Suddenly Sam got angry and hurt and without thinking he said,

"You can tell that to T-Rexus, or maybe Dark Gryphon, I'm sure they'll be glad" and then he turned and walked away.

"T-Rexus, Dark Gryphon?! How did he know about that dream?!" Jane thought. "Sam wait!" she called but Sam was too angry.

He didn't stop. He just walked away.

"Jane, I know you said those things about me being your boyfriend just to hurt him but whatever Sam told you earlier is true" Dave said.

"How can you be sure?" Jane asked.

"You probably slept right through it but just a few minutes ago, a Golden Dragon and a Gryphon had a deathmatch right here. I know that Sam was the Golden Dragon because of some things he said. Go after him" Dave encouraged.

"George, your 'might' was right after all. She didn't even listen to me and what's worse, she's gotten herself a new boyfriend, Dave!" Sam yelled in anger.

"Whoa! She told you that?!" John exclaimed.

"Sam, you shouldn't believe her. I'm sure she's just trying to make you jealous" Lucy advised.

"Jealous?! Being angry about something is one thing, that I can understand but playing with my feelings is way too cruel! I mean even Dark Gryphon didn't seem that bad!" Sam burst out in anger.

"Boy, are you angry" John said ending his statement with a whistle.

"Well this wasn't my idea of your angrily ever after" George said.

Sam turned to face George, his eyes were glowing slightly red.

"Uh-oh" George said.

John, Nancy and Lucy shut their eyes tight for the next thing they heard were blows landing. After the boys, Sam and George, were separated, Sam fell to the ground in despair.

"I think I made a mistake" Sam said.

George touched his bleeding lip.

"You sure did!" George yelled.

"I mean about telling Jane our secret. I can't believe I did that. It was so selfish" Sam said.

"I think it was selfless. You were willing to share your secret with someone you loved and were honest even though your secret was unbelievable" Nancy said.

"No, I risked her safety so that I wouldn't lose her. You saw how Dark Gryphon used her to get to me. Any other villain could do the same" Sam said.

"What are you trying to say?" Lucy asked.

"I'm not trying to say anything. I'm saying that I have realized something very important" Sam paused.

"Which is?" John questioned.

"I am going to end my relationship with Jane, permanently" Sam stated.

"Okay, I'm not hearing clearly say again!" John exclaimed.

"You're my brother but you freak me out more than Tarantella and Dark Gryphon put together!" Lucy exclaimed.

"I heard wrong right?" George asked.

"Wrong! You heard right! I'm going to end my relationship with Jane once and for all!" Sam said with determination.

"What you're doing is very brave but how exactly are you going to do that. It's not like you can just walk up to her and say 'Jane, I don't want to see you anymore so goodbye'" Lucy said.

"No, I'll just keep avoiding her till she gets the message" Sam said.

"I don't agree with this. It's right from a certain angle but it's also wrong. You're not only going to hurt yourself but Jane too, I mean..." Nancy suddenly went hysterical.

"Nancy, let me handle this" John stepped in.

"Sam, I know you're trying to do the right thing but it's not right when you hurt more than two people" John said.

"Jane will soon get over me anyway. It seems she already has. I can handle the pain, maybe" Sam said. "Besides I'm not hurting more than two people" Sam said.

"Yes you are. You're hurting you, Jane, yourself, her and all those who suffer from seeing you suffer" John said.

"For crying out loud will you quit it already" Sam was getting fed up of John's badly timed jokes.

"Sam, John's right" Nancy said.

"Which part?!" Sam questioned.

"You'll hurt everyone who sees you suffer, everyone who cares about you. I'm standing against this!" Nancy said firmly.