Chapter 30: Sam And Jane

CHAPTER 30: SAM AND JANE

"Where's your new boyfriend anyway?" Sam asked spitefully.

"I don't have a new boyfriend. I just said that to make you jealous" Jane said.

Sam kept silent.

"Please say something" Jane pleaded.

"I didn't think you were capable of playing with my feelings that way" Sam said.

"What time did I have to date Dave? You're forgetting that I was stuck in T-Rexus' or Dark Gryphon's Cave. In what period did I date Dave?" Jane asked.

"You did arrive at the beach with him, then left with him, use your imagination" Sam said angrily. "But I see that you now believe me" Sam said.

"Yeah, it was actually Dave that made me see the truth" Jane said.

"Dave?! Why would he do that?" Sam said in disbelief.

"I guess he doesn't want to end up on the Golden Dragon's menu" Jane said with a little smile. "I really am sorry for all the pain I caused you" Jane apologized.

"I heard from your cousins and Lucy about what happened. Your twin brother...Daniel, I'm sorry about that too" Jane said.

"You don't need to be sorry about that" Sam said.

"I know, but I can't help it" Jane said placing a hand on Sam's cheek.

"It must be really hard for you" Jane said.

"I'm sorry you had to see me like this Jane" Sam said regretfully.

"It's okay. You had every right to be angry but not to strike our names off the tree" Jane said and they laughed.

Now Sam was sitting on the grass and Jane was leaning on his shoulder.

"I'd really love to see your world, I mean the world you rule my Golden Prince" Jane said.

"Me too" Sam agreed "...but interdimensional travel is very dangerous".

"We've already faced a lot of danger haven't we? I'm not afraid as long as you're at my side" Jane said.

Then she leaned over and kissed Sam and Sam kissed her back.

"The sky is so beautiful tonight, don't you think?" Jane asked.

"More than usual" Sam replied and then he remembered his oath to himself to keep Jane safe by breaking up with her.

"I guess there isn't any reason that we shouldn't be together anymore" Jane said.

"Actually...there is" Sam said as he stood up and stared at the ground.

"What?" Jane stood up and stared at Sam in disbelief.

"But why? What reason do we have not to be together?" Jane asked in confusion.

"I've realized that I've been selfish by telling you the truth. I did that so that we could remain together, I didn't think of your safety. I love you Jane but if anything should happen to you because of me, I'd never forgive myself. I can't let anyone hurt you just to get to me" Sam said.

"Oh I see, so you want to protect me by breaking up but don't you think that there are people that are willing to share that risk if it means that they can stay with the people they love? I believe that you were selfless and that you trusted my strength" Jane said with a smile.

"Maybe...but that's not the point. Dark Gryphon was enough trouble and there might actually be villains out there stronger than he is" Sam said. "I've always wanted to be with you but now I'm not so sure it's right for me to risk your life just by being with you" Sam said.