you are not a monster

☆☆☆

REMUS LUPIN was a werewolf

REMUS LUPIN was a werewolf. Every full moon he would turn into a werewolf and pray to merlin that he wouldn't hurt anyone or himself. His best friends always helped him. James Potter, your brother, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew. They would transform into their animagus and help the young werewolf through the night.

Because you always hung out with the marauders, you knew something was off. They would all appear tired and beaten one day every month. Remus didn't want to tell you in fear that you would run away from him. James kept telling him that you would never do that.

And your brother was right, you wouldn't run away from Remus. Never ever.

You know James would never tell you what was happening between the boys. It was just too big of a secret. But that being said, it intrigued you too much for you to let it go. So you made a plan, in the hopes of catching what your brother and three best friends were up to.

———

One night you stayed up in the common room, doing a mix of studying and listening to music. Upon hearing the portrait hole open you snuck to the front of the couch to watch what they were doing.

"Are we good?" You heard Sirius ask. You had no idea what that meant but you knew if you revealed yourself too early you would get to know what was happening. "Yeah, Filch is on the other side of the school," James whispered.

'How the hell did my brother know that?' you thought.

Then you heard the groan of someone in pain. "It's worse than we thought, we have to go to Madame Pomfrey," Peter said. Then there was some shuffling and complete silence followed. You stood up looking around the common room for your brother and his friends, but they were nowhere to be seen.

You walked out of the portrait hole, going to Madame Pomfrey's. As you got there, you saw James, Sirius, and Peter waiting in front of the hospital wing. They saw you, their eyes going wide.

"Y/n? What are you-hey..." Sirius said, nervously rubbing the back of his neck. Peter gulped, as James walked towards you. "Y/n, seriously you can't be here right now," he urged.

You scoffed, "Really? What if I was sick?" You retorted, wondering what the hell was going on.

"Are you?" James asked.

You shook your head, "Where's Remus, and what the hell is going on?" You asked. "I can't tell you, Y/n," James said, a sad tone finding his voice. "Fine, then I'll find out myself," you replied, pushing past James, then Sirius and Peter.

You burst through the doors of the hospital wing to see Remus being stitched up from a cut on his chest. Remus and Madame Pomfrey didn't even see you until you said, "Remus John Lupin who did that to you?"

Remus froze, you were the last person he expected to see tonight. Although he wished you would be by his side, he didn't want to put that burden on you.

Madame Pomfrey finished stitching up Remus, then leaving to let you and him talk. "Y/n, what are you doing here?" Remus asked. You sat by his bedside, taking his hand, "I followed you guys out of the common room. There is something you aren't telling me and I need to know," you admitted. "I can't tell you," Remus dismissed. "Why?" you asked, getting a little angry with the secrecy. "I could hurt you. I can't do that to you, never to you," he replied.

"You're hurting me right now by not telling me," You replied. Remus lifted up his head, looking into your eyes. "I'm a werewolf, Y/n. I was bitten when I was a child and I'm a monster," Remus said, a couple of tears threatening to fall down his cheeks, as he looked away from you.

You quickly wiped them away and turned his head to look back at you. "Listen to me, Remus. You are not a monster," You said seriously. "You are kind and smart. You are my best friend and I love you so much, you have no idea," You said, revealing a little more than you thought you would.

"You love me?" he asked. He had been waiting to hear those three words come from your mouth for such a long time. With James being your brother he never acted on his feelings.

You stuttered at the question, "I mean, yes...you're my...were-," you rambled, then being cut off by Remus leaning in to kiss you. You were surprised at first, then kissing back. You both pulled away, "I love you too, Y/n. And I promise to never keep another secret from you, ever again," Remus said.

From that day on, Remus never kept another secret from you. Every month on the full moon you would help Madame Pomfrey get the hospital wing ready for Remus, just in case anything bad happened. If nothing bad happened, the two of you would snuggle in the common room and read, while also eating a healthy amount of chocolate.