Chapter 6 - Charlie

Is she fucking kidding? First we almost kiss, then she doesn't look at me and now she's flirting with Keith. Incredible. I'm so done with girls. Fuck, why do I care that one girl doesn't want me. I never care.

I knock my glass back and fish a beer from the crate. I'm mad at Keith, but even more mad at Jay. She pretends it's nothing.

In a feint I catch the ball, I grin smugly at Gino, who is now forced to finish his glass. "Oh come on, you're not even paying attention."

"I'm always paying attention," I growl. I position myself, see Clay's stupid head, moron. I throw, hit. He sighs and picks up his cup, they are... behind, have only three cups left and we have 6.

I want to walk away, but then feel a hand on my back, my eyebrows rise a little bit in astonishment, but when I look at her her hand, it's gone again and she laughs with Keith. I roll my eyes and step past them, ignoring their laughter and plop in the sofa. I can't stand how Keith slides his hands smoothly over her hips or arms and she laughs at his fucking shit face.

"Ey, Charlie what the hell is this?" I ignore Keith and take a sip of my beer. "Char." I get a beer cap against my head.

"I'm done." I mutter, trying hard not to look at Jay.

Keith rolls his eyes this time. "Party pooper." He takes the ball and throws, of course he misses, he always throws crooked, especially when he has been drinking.

Someone plops into the couch next to me and hits his beer against mine. "I get it, you didn't have your star player anymore," Jake grins.

Grinning, I wrap my arm around his neck and pull him towards me. "Yes, because you are so useful to us."

"Ouch." Grinning, I push him back. I don't know how it ever turned out like that, maybe because he used to be bullied by Keith when we were 6, but Jake has always been my best buddy. It may not seem like it, especially because he is sometimes as dumb as a sidewalk tile, he can listen well and don't ask me how he does it, but when something bothers you he sees it right away, almost as if he can read your mind.

"What is it?" What did I tell you.

I release a little sigh. "Nothing really, I'm tired and my face hurts."

Jake chuckles. "The second one is really your own fault." He nudges me. "But what's bothering you for real."

I roll my eyes. "Nothing." He already knows the truth when my eyes automatically move to Jay. Fucking hell.

"Jealous hmm?"

The punch is so hard that Jake squeaks in pain. "I take that as a yes." He grunts. "I'm just trying to help," he says hurt, rubbing his aching shoulder.

I sigh again. "I know." Why am I so worried about it? "I don't know, dude." I fiddle with the label of my beer. "I literally never have this, I..." A sigh leaves my lips. 

He pats my leg. "Do you know what I'm thinking?" I look at him questioningly. "I think you just need to get laid, when's the last time you were drunk and had sex with someone?"

"Jake..."

"Oh come on, you're going to be a prude now, the school's greatest player." I laugh mockingly.

"And that's coming from your mouth." When we look at each other, we chuckle. "No you're right, I haven't had sex in ages."

"Tada, problem solved." He winks, but still looks like he knows something I don't know.

I roll my eyes again. "Jake... What?"

He shakes his head with a grin. "Nothing, I just want you to be happy." I gag.