Chapter 7 - Charlie

This day can't get worse. I put my head in my hand with a groan. I have a pounding headache, the left side of my face stings and it annoys me like hell. It hurts a lot and I prefer to stay at home, but of course Keith makes me drive because his hangover is way too big. Jerk.

"Fuck, I fell asleep, we have to—"

"Turn right," I interrupt. "I know where to go, smart ass, I brought her home yesterday." Oh men, I really shouldn't be talking loud. I tighten my eyes in pain for a moment.

"Your eye looks good." Keith immediately looks away when I glare at him.

"Gosh, I wonder why!" I bark at him and immediately regret it. My head feels like it's going to explode. 

I feel his hand on my shoulder. "I should have stopped Tyler."

I chuckle. "You?"

"Yes me." He looks at me. I shake my head and watch the road again. It doesn't take long to stop in front of her house. "You know," he begins before getting out. "Not everything has to be meaningless and sad." He slams the door and walks to the front door. I punch the wheel, curse inwardly, stop punching the wheel when my knuckles hurt, and sigh. Not everything is pointless, but more than half is. What's the point of making a lot of money if you die? What's the point of falling in love when your heart gets broken and what's the point of telling everything about yourself when people break your trust? There is a reason I keep things to myself.

I almost want to drive away when I see Keith hugging Jay. Still, I see she's a little uncomfortable and that makes me grin. Keith is a loser. When I honk, they both look in my direction. Jay looks briefly into my eyes before looking away. Okay?

"Keith, hurry up," I shout and raise the window again. I get a middle finger my way and ignore it. I'm really not in the mood to argue with him.

Damn where's an Advil? I open the glove compartment and grab a box of pills from between the papers. I'm dying. I ignore Keith and Jay when they get in and push two pills out of the strip and swallow them with some water.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Keith looks at me quizzically when I slam the glove compartment closed just a little too hard.

I roll my eyes. "I'm doing great." I start the car and turn it onto the road.

"What time is the game?" Keith asks next to me.

"Half past five," Jay and I say in unison, making me look at her through the mirror. We stare at each other for a while, I am the first to look away and pay attention to the road again.

"So early?"

"Better than late," I mutter.

"I agree," says Jay. "If you have to play late, you're already tired before the game starts and the night is over before you're done."

"Exactly, thank you Jay for showing my little brother how stupid he is." I grin when he punches me.

"No problem," I hear her say to fuck more with Keith.

He turns to her. "Ey, I'm just sitting here."

"I can see that," she teases.

"You can't be missed, with that big head." I have to suppress my smile when I see his offended eyes. Jay can't hold back her laughter and starts to laugh. When I hear her laugh I can't hold back mine either.

"Is it 'National Bullying Keith Day' or is this just very random?" He asks. I push his head away and shake my head.

I bite my lip to stop laughing and try to focus on the road again, laughing and driving don't mix very well.