Chapter 27 - Charlie

"Keith!" I cover Jay behind me, knowing it won't be of much use anyway because he's already seen her and lean on my hands. Shit!

"I should have known," he mutters. For the first time he looks at me, a fire burns in his eyes with anger. "You!" He shakes his head furiously and turns around.

"Keith, wait!" I jump out of bed, almost fall when I put on pants and a shirt. When I see Jay getting dressed, I turn to her. "Stay here, please Jay, let me talk to him." I look at her pleadingly. As soon as she nods I'm out the door and run after Keith.

At the bottom of the stairs I grab his arm and turn him around. "Keith!"

"Do not fucking touch me!" He looks at me with such disgust that I swallow. He hates me.

"It's not what you think it is."

"So you just didn't have sex? You weren't just naked?" He yells that right in my face. "Why her too, Char? Are all the others not enough?"

Tears start to burn in my eyes. "It's different now."

"Bullshit. Like all other times you wanted to show me that you could have her too, didn't you? You wanted to rub it in my face. Fuck you!"

"No that's not true, Keith, listen to me." I gasp when he hits me. I slowly turn my head back, my cheek burns from the slap. I have to bite back my own anger. He knows damn well that I don't take it when someone puts his hands on me. So he's surprised when I keep my cool. But that just for a few seconds, before he starts yelling again. 

"I'm not doing anything!" He clenches his hands into fists next to his body. 'I'm so done with you and everything that belongs to you. You knew I liked her, fucking everyone knew that and you -"

"I love her Keith." I say it so quickly that it's almost impossible to hear, but he hears it. "I love her, it's different from the previous times, that was numb but this is -"

"Stop it!" He interrupts me screaming. "Are you really that cowardly and filthy to lie? To justify it, when you know as well as I that this is nothing." I feel a hard stab in my chest that makes me step back. "It just comes back in circles and every time it's the same. You use them, feeling absolutely nothing." 

"I'm sorry you can't see that I really love her."

Now he is smiling, it sounds just like Dad and that makes me sick. "You can't love anyone, Charlie, those were the words of your therapist. Everyone knows!" He barks it in my face. "You don't do feelings, you don't fall in love, you don't love!" He huffs. "I tried so hard, but you keep pushing everyone away, you don't even know what love is." 

"That's enough." Jay comes up next to me. "How dare you talk about her like that, she's your fucking twin sister."

"Jay," I say softly. I don't want her interfering with this.

Keith laughs again. "Do you want to know something, Jay?" He scoffs at her and I almost want to throw my fist in his face. I calm down when I feel Jay's hand in mine.

"You can't say anything to make me doubt her, Keith." I smile faintly when she looks at me. "I know that you're angry but please listen." 

"Oh but then this is going to be fun." His eyes land on mine. "You do everything to win, don't you? Or was this a big joke." He's not going to... "Or do the other boys not know about Jay? Are you no longer at the top with the points?"

"What is he on about?" 

"Are you telling it or am I doing it?" A tear runs down my cheek as he stares at me in silence. I shake my head at him. Why doesn't he see it?