28: SILENCE IS DEAFINING

"They're like shitty candies." Gemma laughed as Tubbo gagged on his.

"I thought it was fine." Ranboo shrugged, "but I wouldn't eat them if I had another choice."

"You're a fuckin' freak." Tommy teased and Ranboo pegged a rock-hard candy at him.

"Ranboo!" Gemma laughed, swatting his head as the boy shrieked and dodged her hit, "god, here try my favorites. Galatine."

"What are they?" Tommy asks, adjusting his seat in the wooden chair in Gemma's kitchen.

"Chocolates! I used to eat them with my sister and—" Gemma pauses, the sight of Fiore hitting her flashing through her mind before she blinks it away.

"I can cut that out of the video," Tommy says softly and Gemma nods, thankful for his understanding even if he didn't know the truth behind the fear in her face. But they continued joking in while Gemma laughed along, throwing in babysitting jokes here and there as they continued. The boys had been tasked with distracting her all day while Wilbur went out with Techno, Kristin, and Phil. Of course, the reason had been kept under tight lock, but everyone had their suspicions.

After a while, maybe three hours of recording plus the six hours she'd already been with the boys, Gemma was getting a bit restless. She wasn't used to having so many people around, so she decided to go sit outside while the boys played Mario Kart. She claimed she had a headache and just wanted to take a quick break to try and subdue it while her medicine kicked in. That had been a side effect of her new anti-depressants: migraines and headaches.

She sat in the rocking chair on the front porch and let out a soft sigh, the golden sun of the sunset reflecting onto her skin. Wilbur was never gone for this long without a text message at least, but Gemma didn't mind it. He was an adult, he could take care of himself... but Fiore still being around Brighton made her nervous. She had no idea what her sister was planning and she didn't want to stay and find out. But before she could completely panic, her phone rang, and she grabbed it from her lap and flipped it over to see Phil's phone number.

"Hey, old man." She says as she lifts the phone to her ear.

"Hey, uhm, so Wilbur's an idiot and he got us stuck in traffic and we're not gonna be home for another hour or so," Phil says, but Gemma can hear the music playing behind him and it's not any typical music Wilbur would play.

"Oh," she said softly, "that's totally fine! Just let me know when you're almost home, okay?"

"When I do, can you meet Wilbur outside?" His voice was laced with pure concern.

"Yea... is everything okay?" Gemma asked, pausing her rocking on the chair.

"I..." Phil trailed off, "I'm not sure, but I don't wanna worry you. We're maybe fortyish minutes away now, just... just don't worry."

"You say that like I'm not always worried." Gemma tried to joke, but the words came out too genuine.

"You'll see soon."

--

Gemma hadn't been able to sit still for the whole twenty minutes until Wilbur's small black car pulled into the driveway. She stood, setting her phone on the rocking chair behind her, as Phil and Techno passed her and stepped inside.

"Gem?" Wilbur approached her, almost with apprehension, and she was confused.

"Wilb?" She asked, glancing at him and noticing the tension of his shoulders and the way he gripped his phone in nearly shaking hands,

"Someone... just here." And the phone was shoved towards Gemma.

danonmore
gemma is also dating george.
98k likes 86k retweets