29: YOUR NIGHTMARE IS TRUE

Gemma couldn't breathe.

Something was pushing her under the water and she clawed forward, kicking and scratching her hidden attacker's hands as she tried to scream. All the bubbled up from her horror was air.

She couldn't fucking breathe, there was no oxygen she could take in under the bath water. Her attacker shoved her harder, slamming her head into the bottom of the tub, and Gemma's hands slid along the sides of the tub. She couldn't get out. She was stuck.

"Gemma?" Someone screamed.

"Gemma?"

"Gemma?!"

"Gemma!!" Her eyes opened and she sucked in a breath, quickly curling herself in and backing up against the bedposts. Wilbur sat back, giving her a moment to take in her surroundings.

"It's okay Gem, it's just me." Wilbur says, gently holding a hand out. It had only been three days since they'd started their quest to find out if Fiore was behind everything. Gemma hadn't handled the stress well.

"I want this to be over with." Gemma grabbed his hand and he nodded, moving over to lay next to her and pulling her to his chest.

"I know, Gem." He kissed her head, "today's the last day before Ranboo goes home, we're gonna just watch movies and rest him up before he goes."

"Okay... was I screaming in my sleep... again..." Gemma yawned, and Wilbur nodded, gently kissing the side of her head.

"Yeah, but they understand why." He whispers back to her and she nods, leaning into his gentle hold. She feels like shit, honestly. Sleep felt more like a chore than anything, and she felt like a drag to be around, but soon court dates and documents would be finalized and she'd finally be able to live free... right?

"...Gemma?" Wilbur whispered, placing his hand on Gemma's cheek. She jumped, pausing for a few seconds before melting into his touch again.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be, okay?" He whispered, "I love you, Gem. You're so strong. You'll be okay."

Gemma nodded gently sitting back and he smiled, leaning forward to press their foreheads together before kissing her softly and standing.

"Therapy tomorrow morning, remember, I'm gonna go grab breakfast for the kiddos." Wilbur said and Gemma giggled.

"You sound like a dad when you say that." Gemma whispered and Wilbur laughed, blushing as he exited the room. Gemma yawned, stretching, and preparing herself for the day.

Ranboo had somehow ended up teaching Gemma a plethora of TikTok dances while Wilbur and Phil attempted to make some sort of dinner, Tubbo took a nap in the middle of the floor while Tommy and Techno stacked jenga blocks on his head and Kristin read a book. The day hadn't consisted of much, mostly just cleaning and packing for Ranboo and the others since everyone was going to their own houses.

"Hey Gem?" Wilbur said, walking into the room as Gemma attempted some weird dance move. He paused, a goofy lovesick smile spreading on his face before she turned.

"You saw nothing, and what?" She paused her dancing to cross the room.

"So... uhm... I read the instructions wrong and my taste isn't the best anyway so I have no idea if this will fuck up the whole thing but is four tablespoons of garlic powder too much for sauce?" He asked and Gemma paused.

"Did you already add the crushed garlic..?" She asked and Wilbur nodded. Gemma let out some weird screech noise and laughed.

"Will!! Why did you— oh my god." She smacked his chest lightly while laughing hysterically and he began to giggle, pulling her close to his chest.

"I'm sorry! I read the wrong instructions!"

"I'm gonna have to make a whole new sauce thing now!! You ate all the sauce I made last week!"

"It's good!"

"You can't taste anything?!"

Kristin leaned back on the couch, glancing behind Wilbur to where Phil stood. After a second he turned and made eye contact with her where they just split into grins and nodded at one another.

"Okay, we're gonna order fucking pizza or something so we don't have to taste Wilbur's garlic sauce." Gemma laughed, jumping as the Tubbo-Jenga tower fell down and Ranboo shrieked in surprise a second later.

"Well, good fucking morning to me." Tubbo whined and everyone began laughing again. After a quick clean up and migration to the kitchen, Gemma made her way into the living room to order the food when there were three knocks on the door. She paused, stepping over and peeking through the side window to see George.

"Why is he..." she mused before opening the door, "hey George?"

"Hey, Bambi, uh." George sighed, "I saw some of the stuff on Twitter with that account and I feel so bad about it."

Gemma clicked the door shut behind her, "oh, it's okay George. Wil and I are handling it."

"Ah, okay, cool." He laughed, seemingly awkwardly which made Gemma tilt her head.

"George? What's up? You seem awkward?" She said, reaching out to touch his shoulder and he laughed a bit again, thought this was more obvious as fake.

"It's just... the video about us... with the whole edited audio. Wilbur got really mad about it and then last night be invited me over to dinner, so I just feel awkward." He admitted and Gemma paused before gasping.

"He got jealous didn't he?" She whispered and George made some protesting noise before the door clicked open behind them and Wilbur popped his head out.

"Oh hey George, didn't know you made it here." He smiled and Gemma instantly noticed the way his gaze shifted and felt this burst of 'oh my god' in her chest. He was still jealous over it.

"Yeah, just got here. Gemma came out to talk to me." George smiled and Wilbur nodded before turning to Gemma.

"Tubbo for some reason now says he wants to try the Mediterranean pizza thing they have." Wilbur grins and Gemma nods.

"Yeah, okay, I'll put that in too. Oh and take George in and come back out when you're done." Gemma said and Wilbur nodded, welcoming George in with a mock bow while the shorter male rolled his eyes with a laugh and pushed Wilbur as he stepped in. Gemma laughed and sat down in one of the chairs on the porch and dialed the phone number for the pizza place, humming as she rocked back and forth in the chair. Wilbur stepped out a few minutes after she'd finished ordering and sat next to her, giving her some drink with a smile. She took a sip of it and hummed, it was some wine she'd bought and had shipped from Italy.

"What's up Gem?" He asked, running a hand through his hair.

"Are you jealous of George?" She cut right to the chase and almost doubled over in laughter when Wilbur made a protesting noise and stuttered over an explainafion.

"No! It's just, I didn't know anything about the video and the conversation you had could've been real and I was just worried about if you'd like cheat on me or leave me or something." He rambled our and Gemma reached over to grab his hand.

"Babe, you know I love you. C'mon, I think I've shown you that. If I neeed to do more I want you to let me know but also, you're so fucking obvious when you're jealous—"

"—oh my god." Wilbur put his head in his hands and Gemma cackled while leaning back.

Not me returning two months later— sorry, writers block and the end of school fried me.
I am getting ready for the climax/falling action now though!! So soon we'll get our answers.