02. MANHUNT

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓
chapter two:
third-person POV
clay's parent's house,
Orlando, Florida.
┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

⊱ ──── 《∘◦☹◦∘》 ──── ⊰

"Clay, I'm not sure I'll be very good," Gemma says, her eyes glancing at the keyboard in front of her. It reflected back in RGB, the rainbow lights shining across her pale skin as her face curled into discomfort and concern.

"I'm sure you'll be fine, Bams! You were always the winner back when we played Hunger Games." Clay says, using his childhood nickname for her with a small grin as he double-checks her stream to make sure everything was functioning before stepping off-camera.

"Yeah but that was like... six years ago when we played together frequently!" Gemma leaned forward, grabbing her water bottle and swirling the ice-cold liquid around before sitting back and taking a sip.

"But still! You'll be fine, I'm not playing with my normal group today for the charity event. So you don't need to worry about people being upset you're there, it's new hunters."

"Wait! I don't know any of them?" Gemma gasped, bringing her hands to her face with a quiet mutter of curse words and Italian that made her cousin roll his eyes.

"Relax, it's gonna be the uhm... fuck, what do they call themselves." Clay trails off, snapping his fingers and drilling his fingers against the slight stubble on his chin, "Oh! Sleepy Bois Inc!"

"Sleepy Boys Inc? Mio Dio..." She murmurs, shifting in the computer chair and sending her younger cousin a nervous glance. He rolled his eyes again with that same gentle grin poking at his cheeks.

"You have like... an hour until we start streaming. Look them up. I've gotta go take the trash out and drive Drista to her friend's house or my Mom's gonna get on my ass about it. Once I get home I'll help you start up stream and I'll start mine." Clay looks down at his phone, "Alright?"

"So much for a pep talk..." Gemma huffed, waving her younger cousin out of his room before slumping back in her chair. He left with a shout of goodbye of his shoulder and a slam of her door. She could hear his mother shout up something and Clay yell back an apology, probably for slamming the door. Gemma fixed her posture in the black and white 'gaming chair' she'd been given to use. It was a hand-me-down that smelled faintly of AXE and Monster, but she didn't mind since she was only using it until she went back to her own house in Italy.

"I might as well..." She mused aloud as she opened a new tab on Google Chrome. Her slender fingers hesitating before typing in 'Sleepy Boys Minecraft Dream Team.' She couldn't find anything at first, but after clicking through to a redirect that changed her search to 'Sleepy Bois INC' she found a bit more success. Her eyes scanned over the title 'Philza's response to Wilbur's chaos on the Dream SMP' and clicking on the link lead her to a Tumblr page with a paused video of a curly-haired brunette in some sort of room with a clock behind him.

"Hello, Nurse." She chuckled to herself, before pausing and checking behind her to make sure no one had heard that out of embarrassment. When the coast was clear, she clicked on the video.

"I miss Philza," The brunette says, looking into his camera, "I wonder if he's proud of me.."

The video swaps to a blonde man sitting in the corner of his screen, the end of some sort of robotic announcement playing as he pauses his Minecraft game.

"Proud of him?" The blonde almost seems angry, "for what? Becoming a terrorist?"

"I... is this lore?" She gasps, her attention immediately captured as she finds herself tumbling down a rabbit hole. The community she finds just on Tumblr alone shocks her. It's chock full of fan art and fan edits that would make her art friends squeal with appreciation. She also finds short theories and short stories that are written so well, she knew her old Creative Writing professor would've been impressed. Apparently, the Dream SMP was a story based Minecraft server and her cousin played the bad guy, or one of the bad guys, from what she could collect.