Chapter 25

Chapter 25

 Vihaan sped down the highway, his mind racing in anticipation of Maahir's next series of instructions. On the one hand, he'd been caught up in Ashna, Naina, and Maahir's vicious cycle for months, while on the other, he'd learned that Sanchi hadn't returned home.

He attempted to contact Sanchi several times but her phone was unreachable. To add to his concerns, he had checked with Nidhi that Sanchi had not paid them a visit. Nidhi and Vihaan had not considered calling Arjun since he was away in Jabalpur, and they had least hoped that he would know where she was.

Vihaan flashed back to the Independence Day celebrations in Delhi, where a pre-determined Maahir had approached and assured him that Sanchi was absolutely innocent. He also said that he had run into her by chance and they were having only a formal conversation.

"I'm not sure if I can trust you, Maahir, but I have a lot of faith in my wife. We're going through a phase of general misunderstanding, and she's well aware of my sudden outrage." Vihaan gave him an enraged stare. "I'll do whatever I can to restore her trust in me, but you're not allowed to interfere in our matter."

"No, buddy, I was just trying to assist you. I don't want to be held responsible for the split between you and her. It would be actually preferable if you apologize and fetch her to Indore." Maahir's voice was clear. "It's also worthy to note that the photos sent to you were captured and presented by Naina, not by me."

"How did you come to know Naina, and why are you attempting to befriend Sanchi for no apparent reason?" Vihaan cocked his head. "You're still on my suspect list."

"Naina used to be my cousin's girlfriend, but he passed away," Maahir said, smiling slightly. "I understand you're in the middle of a hunt for Ashna, but you're at a loss on how and where to begin. I'm not the kind of person you can put your faith in, but a bird in hand is better than two in the bush."

"What do you expect to gain by aiding me? I mean, how am I supposed to believe you're really interested in helping me?"

"Vihaan, do you really think I was a low character because of my experience with Vanya?" Maahir inquired, his voice warm and inviting. "I was a coward, but that was due to my immaturity at the time. By marrying her, I figured I might bring bad luck to my family. Mrs. Jwala had persuaded me to do so, and I isolated myself from Vanya. Despite my remorse, I continued to hurt her with another girl in my life. Knowing she will hate me for the rest of her life, I built a wall of hatred in her heart."

"It was your fault for not being there for her when she required you the most." Vihaan accused him.

"I know I couldn't, which is why I don't want you to repeat the same thing again." Maahir drew a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "Vanya had left her house before I regained the courage to win her back in my life. I discovered she was married to you when I saw her again at Nidhi's wedding. All that was left to clear my guilt was only a heartfelt apology to her."

"What else do you expect, now that you've won her gracious forgiveness?"

"If my sincere effort to get you around her and fix the distance succeeds, the weight of sins on my shoulders will be lighter to some extent."

Maahir's voice was reduced to a weak whisper. "All I want is for her to be happy with you. Don't you think if you keep widening the gap in your relationship, she'll get closer to me, if for no other reason?"

"I'm her only solace, even though she's mad at me." Vihaan put his palm on Maahir's shoulder. "Mr. Maahir, you didn't notice the extent of my bonding with Sanchi. These arguments are written in the brightest star of our relationship. We can argue and struggle for days or even months, even to the point of living apart, but we'll still come back strong together."