Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Sister-in-law..."

Vidya heard Vihaan's deep voice and a knock on their door as the hour hand of the clock struck eleven of the night. Dheeraj was busy playing and chattering with his baby son Dhairya on the bed as Vidya moved out of it to fling the door open for her brother-in-law.

"Any problem Vihaan?" She asked, worried for his presence at that time of the night.

"I've just returned from the bureau and the first thing I'm doing is meeting you straightaway." He stated before smiling at his elder brother inside the room. "I came here to know what the doctor said about Sanchi's condition, I mean you promised me that you would discuss with our doctor. Is she doing fine?"

"Of course I did, Vihaan. She is showing normal symptoms and her reports turned out to be alright," Vidya told him. "There's nothing to worry at the moment but..."

"But what?" He palpitated, the skin of his forehead arched into folds.

"You know how vulnerable her health has been after the two major operations earlier in her life, one due to the gunshots at Omkareshwar and the other for her fertility issues. She is carrying double babies and so doctor has warned me to take extra care of her and see to it that she isn't put under any real stress. Other than these, she is capable of giving birth to healthy babies." Vidya explained with a small smile on her face.

"Alright, I'll see to it." Vihaan smiled back. "Do you think she is asleep now?"

"She must have slept after waiting for you but why do you seem nervous, Vihaan? Why are you scared to go to your own room?" Vidya shrugged, watching his distressed face intently.

"Your soulmate is someone who can burn me with her metaphorical flames if she remains awake for me and discovers that I'm late tonight." Vihaan straightened his back. "I'm also afraid if she wouldn't be sleeping like yesterday and wake me up again in the middle of the night to fulfill her idiotic demands!"

"What! Was she awake last night?" Vidya gaped, shaking her head. "Staying up late at night isn't good for her health at all."

"I wanted to explain her the same thing but she wouldn't listen. It was due to her insistence in the middle of the night that I had to cook muffins for her!" Vihaan was complaining in his hoarse voice, his face seemed somewhat tired.

"Did she make you to do that, Vihaan?" Dheeraj grinned behind them before laughing aloud. "Then you will have to tolerate the changes in her mood till her delivery."

Vidya agreed with her husband. "These are the food cravings of pregnancy, Vihaan. She'll feel like eating anything at odd hours of the day and you will have to listen to her at any cost."

"What!" Vihaan deadpanned while Dheeraj folded his arms together.

"Yours was nothing, Vihaan." Dheeraj squared his shoulders. "Vidya's cravings were on a different level when she was pregnant with Dhairya. It was winter season and she suddenly felt the urge to have ripe mangoes which are found only during summer. I had to drive for almost two hours before reaching the city's cold storage to grab some stored mangoes in the middle of the night."

Vihaan departed for his room with mixed emotions after learning the truth behind Sanchi's sudden aggressive changes in food appetite the previous night. When he pushed the door open to his room, he unexpectedly found an awaken Sanchi who was fetching the box of medicines for herself.

He entered the room, lifted the jar of water and held it near her mouth. She stared up at his disheveled figure, her mouth wide open as she watched the weariness in him.