Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The beaming rays of bright morning sunshine disrupted Shaurya's uneasy slumber and Rohini's petite face appeared as a translucent mirage in front of his eyes which were dry and groggy from restless sleep. He propped up his elbows erect on the bed and sat upright, rubbing the giddiness off his face.

"Rohini!" As he whispered, the diminuitive figure vanished from his view and his head fell back on the headrest of the bed. "Am I hallucinating again?"

He checked the time by his watch and prepared for hitting the gym when his phone rang all of a sudden. Rohini's name flashed on the screen which immediately brought a radiant smile to his face.

"Hey Rohini, how have you been? I visited Delhi twice since the time you returned home from Indore but couldn't find you at your apartment. You weren't even answering my calls or responding to my texts. I thought you wouldn't contact me again after what had happened that day."

"No Shaurya, it wasn't your fault. I totally get you and your flaring temper of how you reacted that day, showering your rage upon me. I know I am the one who refused to forget a cheater like Akash and still keeps on craving for him."

Shaurya closed his eyes, trying to digest her words which sounded like shooting arrows, risking the health of his pure heart. "I know I was too harsh on you that day but believe me, I hadn't wanted my anger to outburst in such a way. But what could I have done? Vay had delivered her babies that day and you were turning impatient to return to Delhi. Why? Just because Akash had called you after so many weeks saying that he wanted to meet you. You also said that he wanted to apologize and come to a proper conclusion."

"I did meet him and we are together now." Rohini's voice almost choked to a low whisper. "He apologised to me and broke up with the other girl in front of his employees. He also confessed that he had got involved in only little flings with his colleague because of our distance which he now wants to rectify. He was extremely pained when he found out I had attempted suicide. He promised he would now remain loyal to me and take care of me,...stay with me all the time."

Shaurya could listen to the cracking sound of his heart breaking for a brief moment and all the courage he had gathered were crumbling without his assistance. All his high hopes of confessing his love to her had shattered without his realisation.

"Stay with you?" He croaked, his voice sounding brittle.

"Yes, we are moving in together."

The last sentence of Rohini did everything to strike the ultimate nail to the coffin of Shaurya's love for her and leave him all helpless to even figure out what wrong he had done after living his life closely with her.

"So you called me up to inform me of this!" He couldn't either believe his ears or felt as if it was a bad dream that would pass soon.

"I really didn't want to hurt you after whatever you have done for me in so many months, but truth is something better be told." She gulped a little. "I called you up because I wanted to inform you that I am not staying in Delhi anymore, but shifting to Hyderabad with Akash. We will also get married very soon. So, please do not go searching for me in Delhi again."

Shaurya placed his palm over his chest and felt the rapid palpitations of his heart for a second before speaking in a wheezy and modulated tone, "You are an adult and you know what is the best for you. Take care of yourself and have a great life ahead...with Akash."

Shaurya didn't wait for her reply even for a second and disconnected the call, throwing the cellphone on the bed and breaking down crying on his knees. He was utterly affected for having lost the love of his life in an instant. There were beautiful moments when he was together with Rohini, taking care of her and fulfilling all of her demands until the storm of her boyfriend wiped everything away from him. He was now left at a fix of whether to lament over his unrequited love or move on in life afresh.