Chapter 26

Chapter 26

     Sanchi found solace in Maahir, who had met her at precisely the right moment to save her from danger. Her body bowed forward and snapped like the brittle being it was, scouring for a frantic escape.

"Vanya, come on, let's get out of here." As he untied the ropes for her, Maahir pled once more, a reverie of implicit expression dotting his forehead. "Remove Vihaan from the clutches of the two witches before they further exploit him."

Sanchi fell out of breath, sinking in his embrace, her legs discharging the rest of the energy they had accumulated over the previous few hours. "Maa-hir — you came at the rig-ht time to save me, and your good ges-ture may encou-rage me to forget all your past wrong-doings."

"Vanya now is not the time to choose between my kindness and my weak—weakness." When they approached the old wooden door that seemed to be a narrow doorway, he held her by her hands and assisted her in walking. "Saving the life of your love is more important."

Sanchi emerged from the darkness and saw him under the glowing lights reflected from the stars. Her face instantly changed expressions. "Maa-hir, how did you hurt yo-ur head? It's gush-ing blood—"

He snapped at her forefinger and flinched away a bit, grasping for his pocket-handkerchief. He said as he brushed the blood away from the slight wound on his forehead, "It's nothing—just a little scratch... Don't waste any more time; just leave."

She sprang to her feet, clutching Maahir's hand in hers, and raced to the middle of the highland. Sanchi stood by Vihaan, her inquisitive gaze finding his, while Maahir dashed up to Ashna and bound her with his tight arms.

"San—Sanchi?" Naina screamed in disbelief, dejected and bewildered. "Maahir? Leave my sister alone right now."

"Are you okay, Sanchi?" The sight of a bruised Sanchi, her shabby hair falling all over her shoulders and her limbs staggering with pain, melted Vihaan's heart. As he wrapped his arms around her to enclose her in his safe cocoon, she cringed and jerked away from him.

Maahir sneered at Naina before holding a dagger across Ashna's chin, seizing her by the throat. "If you dare to step an inch, Naina, I'm going to strangle her. Now hand Ahaana over to Vihaan."

Naina came to a halt, bringing both of her legs together before letting Ahaana go. "I had no idea I was nourishing a serpent in you."

"I had no idea I was assisting a larger viper than myself." Maahir's voice was nearly deafeningly still when he exclaimed aloud. "Get out of here with Vanya and Ahaana, Vihaan. I'll take care of them."

"Monitor your grisly mouth, Maahir. I'm now mindful of the sort of backstabber you are." Vihaan's indignation bubbled up, blood spouting at his eyes as he scowled at Maahir and held Ahaana by her wrist as she stepped toward him in gradual steps. "This may be a piece of your plan again and I will not permit my wife to fall prey to it. Sanchi, please settle down in my car at a distance and you'll discover my team there. I'll get back with the triplet in some time, having them captivated forever."

"You are so lame, Vih-aan, for char-ging the human who res-cued and just repro-duced your wife bef-ore you, the wife with whom you expre-ssed your urge to break all ties a wh-ile ago," Sanchi exclaimed in anguish as her eyes trailed each movement of his. "I'm not going any-where with you. Either men-tion to me what's go-ing on with you or take the sepa-ration from me now."

"No, Sanchi, no." He ventured forward, cupping her wet cheeks in between his palms and delving deep into her eyes. "How could you even figure I would take separation from you? I was here with a mysterious plan, to protect Ahaana and you. Be that as it may, you appear to favor somebody who doesn't deserve your trust by any means."