Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Shaurya waited with patience for Rohini to end the phone call. Though the child caller was unknown to him, he was being urged by the little girl to at least recognize her. "Rohini, who was she?"

Rohini turned on her heels and faced him, raising one eyebrow in dissatisfaction. "She is Shai, didn't you talk to her?"

"I don't know who she is and why is she calling you 'mumma'?" He shrugged and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Do you have a daughter from your past relationship?"

Rohini felt as if her head was spinning as soon as he had shot his questions at her. Fading of the memories of Shalini was least expected by her and she was stuck with no clue how to react in the critical situation.

"You've forgotten Shalini. I can't believe it." Rohini said, screaming. "A day will come when you will refuse to even recognize me."

"Rohini, why will I forget you?" He pulled out his right hand and rested it on her shoulder. "I am just trying to confirm if you have a daughter and if you were ever married to Akash?"

"Akash! Akash! and Akash! I'm just fed up with this name!" She snapped at him and eased out of his hold, screaming loudly. "I am a mother and I do have a daughter. . . But she's only my responsibility and not of anyone who belongs to my past. I don't want to hear the mention of Akash again."

"So I get it. You're having a daughter already." He simply sighed and caught hold of his head, a feeling of dejection and pain hurting him.

"What do you mean by 'already', Shaurya?" Rohini muttered, her voice gradually subsiding. "I had never expected you to judge me as everyone else did."

"I am not judging you. I wanted to clear the matter. . ."

"What do you actually want to clear? Are you afraid of accepting a woman who's already become pregnant with her estranged boyfriend?" Her eyes glowed with rage and anguish as she spoke those words. "I should have never waited expecting anything from you over the years that have passed."

She ran past the door, stomping her feet, and vanished in a flash. After everything that had happened, Shaurya found it impossible to breathe easily, and a piercing pain thundered across his head. For him, memories were fading and surroundings were becoming hazy. He was torn between love and destiny, and only fate could tell him where he would eventually end up.

*****

Sanchi was trying her hardest to keep her patience after Vihaan had left the house for four hours. He hadn't phoned her since then, but she had called him once and he had missed the call.

She threw her phone on the bed of the guest room and turned towards the window, frustrated by the situation. The sun was still shining brightly late in the afternoon. She felt happier staring at the clear sky now that the rain had stopped for an hour.

Her phone rang while she was soaking in the sun's slanting beams. She almost stumbled on her legs as she ran towards it, expecting it to be Vihaan's call. She read the caller's name. It was a call from Shaurya.

"Vay, I need your help urgently. I've heard from Arjun that you have excelled in the skills of strengthening relationships and uniting people who are truly in love." He took a pause. "Can you help me with the same, please?"

"Do you ne-ed help with Rohini'siss-ue?" She figured it out. "I kn-ow you are in love wi-th her."

"I do love her but I've offended her by my behavior." He took a couple of minutes to narrate everything. "And she thinks I'm judging her. . . But I'm not, Vay. I'm just confused with everything and my head feels heavy."