Chapter 30

Chapter 30

     As soon as she heard his solemnly staggering voice, she slammed her head into the drawer of her office desk. This wasn't the first time he'd tried to mesmerize her with his calm demeanor. She had always been captivated by his charming personality.

"Rohini!" When he summoned her, the tall man stepped straight into her cabin, his slim legs trembling and his eyes tired with lack of sleep.

Rohini remembered the first time she met him and how she cried onto his shoulder after her father had died. She still recalled how much they had loved each other before a mishap ripped him away from her.

They had been miles apart since then, a psychological distance created by the tragedy, but she was fortunate enough to be able to stay physically next to him through the times he was in a coma, so she could hold his hand and rest her forehead on his palm to feel the serenity of silence around them, and reassure him that he would be fine, assuming that his hearing was still intact.

Things were so different today; six years of her suffering had eventually paid off as he had beaten the terrible coma and steadily restored his senses. But it wasn't the end of it, for it took her two more years to help him improve his health and care for him in a way that no other lover could.

"I'm speaking to you, Rohini. What are you concerned with?" He coughed a bit, cleared his throat, and then repeated in a lower voice than before. "Can you hear what I'm saying? When is the meeting supposed to happen?"

He had been affected by the coma's aftereffects from the very beginning, as he had nearly lost his voice. Rohini had appointed a speech therapist for him, and although he had recovered most of his pronunciation, he still had small issues while attempting to talk in longer sentences.

"I spoke with the oil company manager, and he said they'll be there in an hour." With a little smile plastered to her mouth, she replied diligently as any perfect assistant would.

"Make sure we don't miss my best friend's invitation. We are expected to arrive before sunset," he said after a short pause to catch his breath.

"I'll take care of it, Shau. . . Sir." As she corrected herself, Rohini's voice diminished. "I'll make sure we leave on time."

Rohini grasped the sidearm of her comfortable chair and kneaded her nails into it as he switched on his boots and stormed out of the room, hot tears burning to spill out of her eyes. She muttered with a withered and painful cry., "Shaurya. . . I can't even call you that."

The tragic coma had affected not only the irregularities of his voice but also the lobe of his brain where many of his memories had been erased. He could only recall until the evening when Aadhir died in front of his eyes, and the rest of the visions came back to him as flashbacks, traumatizing him at every time of day, night, or within an intermittent period of a few days.

His doctors assumed Aadhir's death was as horrific as Shaurya's assault by Ashna, and that the traumatic incident might have been the starting point for his memory to get jumbled. The medical staff had also warned them that, as his voice had improved, he would eventually improve his memory as well.

Rohini peered through the glass door of her chamber to see Shaurya moving slowly before his wrist was pulled by a tiny human wearing a tea-length purple gown with a scintillation of delight in her brownish iris.

"When are we going to catch up with my friends, Shay?" The eight-year-old grumbled in a babyish tone, her eyes narrowing in his direction. "You know how much I hate hearing excuses."

"Shai—" Shaurya knelt in front of her and took her little palms in his, mouthing an apology. "I swear we won't be late. I've already told your mother that we can't be late for the party tonight."