T H R E E

CHAPTER THREE
NOR FADE, NOR DIE

tw: morbid thoughts, death, implied/referenced suicide▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

When I was little, I used to take walks around the city. At first, my mom used to go with me. She'd bring me along for errands, or maybe to visit a park or eat at a small restaurant. Those memories are hazy, but I still remember the way they made me feel. I felt safe every step of the way.

But life moves on. Sometimes it moves in directions you never expected it to take. My mom stopped taking me on those walks. Lenny would try, but he was so busy and I didn't want to make him feel obligated. I started roaming around Atlanta all by myself, like a grownup, but I wasn't. I only a kid, and kids aren't meant to be alone in the city.

When I lived in the mountains, a little older and debatably wiser, I didn't have anywhere to walk. I didn't recognize the land. I couldn't find my way back home if I left, so I never did. I went from having the entire world around me, to only having myself.

And now, I have the company of strangers. This walk is different. It's longer, more tiring, and somehow even longer than before. We didn't choose to go down this rusted railroad— this is just the hand we were dealt.

"All I'm saying is that Avatar is an overrated movie. I'm not saying it's horrible." Javi argues from in front of me. Beside him, Ramon rolls his eyes.

"If anything, I think Avatar is underrated." He fires right back, as if he's been waiting for this exact moment. "The special effects? Way ahead of it's time. And it had good actors, a great concept, and a noble message."

"It was a movie about blue aliens with weird hair that tried to be more deep than it was. Avatar was just a cash grab with no heart behind it."

"Do you hate everything that's fun? Or just the things that I like?" Ramon counters, and that's when he looks over to me. Shit. "What do you think, Frannie? Is Avatar over or underrated?"

"Never seen it." I reply shortly, severely disinterested in the topic of conversation.

"Really?" Ramon asks again, as if my history would change.

I merely shrug. "I didn't go to see movies that often, if ever."

"Did you not like movies, or something?"

"I liked movies, I guess. Just not enough to drive an hour to the city alone." I explain to him, hoping that the conversation dies here. I quickly realize my hope was misplaced.