O N E

CHAPTER ONE
FROM THE GALLOWS

CHAPTER ONEFROM THE GALLOWS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The sun has fallen over the horizon, letting the stars shine above our heads. The fire casts a yellow glow in the darkness of the woods, the sounds of distance owls and night-calling crickets making the world feel less tired.

And even though those stars are beautiful, I don't find myself drawn to them. I look up at Glenn as my head lays on his legs, my eyes taking in every curve and line on his face. Every movement, every breath, every blink— I don't want to miss it again.

The memory of him was nothing compared to this, physically being with him once again. Some people say that voices are the first memories to fade, and after our time apart I can say that it's true. But faces? Those are harder, and more terrifying, to forget.

"You're staring again." Glenn points out in a loving whisper, but he smiles.

"You can hardly blame me. You're nice to look at." I compliment, returning that smile back up at him.

"Are you flirting with me?" He teases.

"Just a little." I say through a light laugh. "I know you like it."

Glenn leans down and kisses me. Although it's short, I know it's one full of meaning. As he pulls away, I lean up to steal another one from him before laying back down.

The stillness of the woods overtakes us again. I shift my gaze to the fire, the large number of us sitting around it with sleepy eyes. Those who were separated are close, and those who never knew each other are fixing that.

My eyes ultimately drift to Maggie, who's sitting on the ground beside Javi. They're talking about something and it manages to put a smile on Maggie's face— an impressive feat.

Looking over Abraham and his group and Sasha and Bob being shamelessly enamored by each other, I find Rick's little family unit. Judith is sleeping like a rock in his arms, Carl beginning to doze off with Rick's jacket as his pillow. It's a familial sight that I haven't seen since the Greene's farm.

Everyone's together again. The people that matter and the people that will matter. My hopes of this were low. I figured, maybe, I'd find one or two of us and spend the rest of our lives searching for the missing ones, but we got lucky. For once, universe gave us a good thing.

Leaves crunch beneath boots, the sound growing closer. I shift to look at who's approaching, relaxing when I see it's only Tyreese.