E L E V E N

CHAPTER ELEVEN
A RAGE UNLEASHED

CHAPTER ELEVENA RAGE UNLEASHED

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The next twenty-four hours of my life were spent in the medical office doing nothing. Every second I spent in bed, the more the urge to do something picked away at me.

If it were up to me, I would have gone home the second I woke up, but Alexandria has strict rules for the injured. It makes sense to want to keep someone safe after near-death, but I just wish the rules didn't apply to me this one time. Through my eyes, I could've healed all the same in my own bed.

Glenn tried to make it better. He stayed by my bedside as much as possible, talking about what's happening in the community and even playing card games together a few times. I appreciated him being there, but I felt better when other people showed, too. Javier and Maggie stopped by for a few hours, and it seems Javi had taken my advice with her. It was nice to see different faces.

When Pete came in after those 24 hours, I was inwardly ecstatic at first. He checked my stitches, asked me the standard questions, but my excitement was soured by the faint smell of alcohol in his breath. I made sure I did everything right so he could sign me off and let me go.

Glenn holds up the door for me as we make it to the house. I scoff at his gesture, but nonetheless utilize it and walk inside. The second I step foot in our home, my eyes gravitate to Javier and Maggie in the living room.

Immedietly, Javi stands, "Ellas finalmente te dejan fuera de la celda, huh?"

"Yeah, estallé para matarte." I joke back with a full chuckle.

"I'll risk it. Come here." Javi shrugs, waving her over to him.

With a groan, I drop my backpack to the floor and step into his embrace. I make no move to engage in the hug. I just stand in his hold, arms limp at my side.

"I was gone for two days." I remind him in a low grumble.

"Yeah, well, what can I say? I missed my friend." Javi says, finally letting go of me.

"And maybe I did, too," Adds Maggie, stepping towards me, "I'm glad you're back home, Fran."

"I'm glad to be back," I tell her. This time, when arms are opened for me, I willingly go in for the hug.

"I see that ring," Javi smirks as Maggie and I's hug come to an end. He pats Glenn's arm, "It took you long enough, man."

"Yeah, yeah." Glenn rolls his eyes in response, a faint smile on his face. I can still see the guilt in his eyes, but this is a start.