S E V E N

CHAPTER SEVEN
THE ORDER OF THINGS

CHAPTER SEVENTHE ORDER OF THINGS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

As the rest of the group venture across Alexandria, I start my first day at work. I never thought I'd have to deal with things as mundane as work again, but here I am.

I roll up the sleeve of my new flannel, the size of it being a little too big for my frame. The clothes that was left for us were nice— too nice. Blouses, button ups, skirts. They all smelled of laundry detergent. It took a while to dig through the closet to find clothes I wouldn't feel guilty getting dirty.

The four of us— Glenn, Tara, Noah, and I— meet the existing run eww outside the armory. I recognize one from the gate when we showed up, but the other I recognize for unknown reasons.

"Glenn, Noah..." The taller of the two men points, but he gets stuck once he lands on the two women. "Which is Tara and which is Frannie?"

"I'm Frannie." I tell him.

"Tara." She waves.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Aiden. You met Nicholas pulling gate duty." The man says, Nicholas muttering a casual greeting towards us.

"Aiden. You're Deanna's son." I remember.

"That's right. My mom told me about you." Aiden says, the ghost of a smirk on his features. I narrow my eyes at him. "I hear you guys got experience making supply runs."

"I saw your pantry. You guys seem to do pretty well." Glenn observes, making sure to stand closer to me.

"Yeah, well, had some training before this. Frannie should know— ROTC. Was nearing lieutenant when this shit blew in."

"My dad did ROTC." Noah relates, shifting his weight to his good leg.

"He didn't make it?" Aiden questions, solemn.

Noah shakes his head, "Nah."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry a lot these days." Aiden sympathizes, seemingly genuine. "Come on, I'll show you the ropes."

"We're doing a run today?" Tara questions, standing a little straighter at the surprising news.

"Just a dry run." Aiden simply puts it, but I'd hardly make anything out there to be simple. "Show you the terrain outside the walls, see how you do. Weigh each other's sack a little, you know?"