F O U R

CHAPTER FOUR
CHASING A RUMOR

CHAPTER FOURCHASING A RUMOR

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"We need eyes in every direction. They're coming for us." Rick announces to us all, although most of us are already on our toes. "We might not know how or when, but they are."

I lightly dab a wet cloth to Aaron's jaw. I can already see the bruise forming on his reddened skin, and I have yet to check the side of his head that hit the floor. It could be worse.

I am forced to back off as my brother and Carol push their way through to him. They use ropes they found in the barn to tie the man up by his arms. When he wakes up, he'll have nowhere to run and no way to do that even if he tried. I push my guilt down.

"Me and Sasha, we didn't see him." Maggie begins, kneeling beside me on the ground. "If he had wanted to hurt us, he could've."

"Anybody see anything?" Rick asks, hardly even casting a glance in Maggie's direction.

"Just a lot of places to hide." Glenn pipes up from the barn doors. He's looking through the cracks, eyes scanning the trees surrounding us.

"All right, keep looking." He encourages, wandering off to see what Carl had found in Aaron's bag.

Daryl and Carol step back from their handiwork, letting me go back to helping Aaron. I can't do much, all of our dwindling medical supplies were used to try and save Tyreese. All I can do is hope this man isn't broken beyond repair.

The first sign of life in Aaron returns with furrowed eyebrows. His eyes flutter open soon after, confusion blurring them as he remembers what had happened. When it comes back to him, he laughs.

"That's a hell of a right cross there, Rick." He compliments groggily.

"Sit him up." Rick orders, walking back over to see the stranger. He doesn't seem pleased with the smile on our captives face.

"He could be—"

"It's okay." Aaron assures me, letting out a grin as he lifts his head off the ground.

"He's fine. Sit him up." Rick repeats himself. I sigh in annoyance, but nonetheless help Aaron into a sitting position.

"You're being cautious. I completely understand." Aaron prattles on. Even after all this, he's still trying to get in our good graces. I don't understand it, but I respect it.

"How many of your people are out there?" Rick inquiries heartlessly and lifts up the orange weapon in his hand. "You have a flare gun. You have it to signal your people. How many of them are there?"