F O U R T E E N

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
DON'T LOOK BACK

CHAPTER FOURTEENDON'T LOOK BACK

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

After everything that went down, I find myself back where I started: The infirmary. It seems that no matter what happens, this is the place this town wants me to stay. I'm not sure if I'm okay with that or not.

I walk up to the door and enter the building, and I'm surprised to see the light is still on. But then my eyes lie upon something even more shocking, and probably the best thing I've seen for a long while.

Tara is awake.

"Surprise," Rosita tells me, a hand still on Tara's shoulder as the injured girl slowly sits up in the bed.

"What the hell," I laugh breathlessly, letting my bag fall to the ground as my feet carry me towards them, "Why didn't you come and get me?"

"You were busy with the meeting, and maybe I thought you'd like the surprise." Rosita explains with a shrug.

"You know, I don't usually like surprises, but this is one I can work with," I smile, sitting on the edge of the bed. I reach out and place my hand on Tara's, "How are you feeling?"

"Like shit, but at least I'm alive." Tara says, her voice still scratchy. I spot the cup and pitcher of water on the bedside table, and instantly feel relieved that she can intake water.

"Did you already take a look at her?" I ask Rosita.

She nods, "She's stable, but I planned on staying in here again tonight, just incase anything changes."

"I can trade off with you, if you want?"

"It's fine, I don't mind." She assures me, waving off my suggestion.

I nod and my attention drifts back to Tara. Of course, I've seen her since the warehouse, but I haven't seen her look alive since then. It was a waiting game to see if she'd wake up, but now the wait is over and I couldn't be more happy with the result.

"I'm really glad that you're okay, Tara." I tell her sincerely, using all my self control to not let the waterworks flow. Surely, I can let out all that stress of the night when I'm alone.

"And I'm glad you are," Tara says back, moving her free hand on top of mine, "I heard that you got hurt. Get another badass scar out of it?"

I can't stop the laugh that escapes, "Yeah. Yeah, I did. I guess I've got another addition to the collection."

"Speaking of, you should clean it and take off the bandages, Frannie. It's been 48 hours." Rosita reminds me.