F O U R

CHAPTER FOUR
HOPE GROWS FONDER

CHAPTER FOURHOPE GROWS FONDER

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The low fire heats up whatever food we have left. I watch as the can sit above the makeshift pit, slowly cooking the rice into something edible, but the mere thought of eating makes my stomach churn.

Ramon grabs a reused cab from the fire and he carefully holds it out for me. I shake my head, not having the energy to speak. This morning out of them all is the hardest.

I didn't have the best night. My sleep was plagued with faces of those we can't see. Glenn, Daryl, the woman and child by the tracks, and worst of all, the Governor. I see his bloodied face, the deep and bloody carnage my knife had left behind. As much as I hate to think of him at all, the image of him in as much pain as me is worthwhile.

Suddenly, and before my mind can even catch up with me, I'm pushing myself off of the floor. Javi and Ramon's eyes snap to me, asking questions without asking them.

"I'll be right back." I murmur, not giving them a chance to respond before I begin to walk off.

Distantly, I can hear them talking. I don't let myself listen. I walk off into the woods, a good distance from the brothers. I lean against a tree, swallowing down the bile rising in my throat.

I lift the hem of my shirt up, the movement feeling sore. I don't dare touch my healing stitches, but I risk a glance. They're red, mostly around the fishing line, but there's no other symptoms of infection. No severe pain, no swelling, no dizziness. It's something else.

The sick feeling swarms me out of nowhere. My stomach lurches and I hunch over, spewing my guts onto the fallen leaves in front of my feet. Not a lot comes out, just the fluids I have left in me. At least by the time it's over, my stomach doesn't hurt so much anymore.

I straighten myself out the best I can and I walk back to our little camp. The two hardly notice that I've come back— either from their thrilling conversation about movies, or their growing comfort towards me.

I grab my cantina and swish the water I have left around in my mouth. I spit it onto the ground afterwards. When I look to Javi and Ramon again, they're staring at me with varying levels of confusion and concern.

"I threw up." I tell them bluntly, seeing no reason to beat around the bush for this one.

"Shit, you feeling all right?" Worries Javi.

"Feeling better now. Don't worry about it." I assure him, both of them, as I plop back down on the ground. "So, how long until we reach Terminus?"