S I X

CHAPTER SIX
THE STATE OF EVERYTHING

CHAPTER SIXTHE STATE OF EVERYTHING

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Glenn and I wake up looking as shitty as we feel. The entire pregnancy fiasco wasted precious time we could have been using to sleep, get some rest so we can leave with full energy. Now, we're up and barely standing.

I rub my tired eyes as I wrap the bandage around Abraham's busted knuckles. I took the time to observe the stitches Rosita have him, and they're not half bad.

"Good news is," I start as I finish off the bandages and grabbing the waterproof tape, "It's not infected."

"Bad news?" Abraham questions.

"If you keep pushing it, those sutures will rip right out. They're not too secure, but they're enough if you're not stupid." I tell him, then cast a glance to Rosita. "No offense."

"None taken." She shrugs, arms crossed over her chest.

"Did you go to medical school too, miss computer science?" He chuckles lowly as I secure the tape around the white bandages.

"ROTC. Basic first aid. You know how it is." I answer in the easiest way possible. "What branch were you in?"

Abraham smirks at me, "Army. I was a Sergeant. Did you ever get to serve?"

"No, I didn't. I guess it just wasn't the right time." I say, cutting corners and giving the easy response. I don't feel like going over my life story today.

"It's all about timing." Abraham nods sternly, seemingly having more respect for me than before. I'm more than okay with that.

"Speaking of timing," Rosita starts, "I think we should stay here today."

"No." Abraham immediately says. "You got some reading you need to catch up on?"

Rosita scoffs, "We got lucky yesterday, but we're all banged up. You especially."

"We've been through worse. We keep moving."

"Maybe we always wind up stopping because we never start at 100%." Rosita fires back, and I agree with her, but I keep my mouth shut. I don't need to involve myself in their lovers quarrel.

"Every minute we waste getting him to Washington, people are dying." Abraham argues, not even looking Rosita in the eye. He watches me wrap the tape around his hand over and over again.