T H R E E

CHAPTER THREE
ONE STEP SIDEWAYS

CHAPTER THREEONE STEP SIDEWAYS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

It's one thing to talk about it, have Rick explain it, or even picture it in your head. It's a whole other monster to see it first hand.

You could hear them before you see them. I knew what to expect once I laid my eyes on them, but I couldn't help but be shocked. The quarry is practically overflowing with walkers. All you can see is the thousands of undead walking aimlessly. There's no way we'd survive this many if the plan doesn't work.

"Dios mío," Javi had sworn the moment he laid eyes upon the overrun quarry, "This plan better work or else we're fucked."

"It will," I told him, "It has to."

I look over my shoulder to Javier now, who's standing beside his brother and listening to Rick give one of his speeches. Despite today being a rehearsal of the real thing, everyone's still on edge. The moaning and groaning of the undead certainly doesn't help anyone's anxieties.

I then look to Glenn where he stands beside me, who's stare is focused up at Rick. I soon follow his line of sight to see our leader standing upon one of the semi trucks blocking the quarry's entrance. I squint at the sun gleaming into my eyes as he speaks.

"I know this sounds insane, but this is an insane world. We have to come for them before they come for us. That simple," Rick has to speak louder than usual to be heard over all the walkers behind him, "This is where it all starts tomorrow. Tobin gets in the truck, opens the exit and we're off. He hops out, catches up with his team at red, staying on the west side of the road. Daryl gets on his bike—"

Before Rick can explain he rest of the plan, a low rumbling emits from across the quarry. Everyone turns their heads, inching close to the edge to get a better look at what's making the noise.

"Oh, no." Glenn mutters.

Another semi truck that's blocking the other exit is starting to slip off the rocks, creating an opening. As I watch the truck slowly begin to fall, I don't feel scared or worried. All I feel is anger. We were ready, we had a plan, but of course our shitty luck to ruin it.

The truck crashes down, creating an open hole for the walkers to flood through. It's a day early, we haven't gotten to rehearse it like we had planned, but this is the hand we were dealt. We always end up having to deal with things and I'm sick of it.

"It's open! We got to do this now!" Rick yells, and immediately people start scattering to their positions. A few people, however, are frozen in fear.