T H R E E

CHAPTER THREE
TEST THE SPIRITS

CHAPTER THREETEST THE SPIRITS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

A search party went out to find our missing people. I wanted to be there more than anyone, to be the one to find my brother safe and alive, but Glenn was persistent on me staying here. I must have scared him earlier.

A few rows ahead of me, Maggie is praying. At least, I think she is. She has her head down, her eyes closed, and a holy bible sitting in her lap. I sure hope her praying does something we can work with.

Someone suddenly sits down beside me, although they try to be as quiet as possible when scooting towards me. It's Carl, and a sleeping Judith. I cast him a glance and then keeping staring forwards, my elbows resting on my legs as one shakes from all the nerves running through me.

"They're out there somewhere. We'll find them." Carl assures me, holding his sister gently in his arms.

"I should be out there." I mutter, shaking my head. I shouldn't have listened to Glenn this time.

"Glenn said you're sick." Carl reminds me and I roll my eyes.

"Glenn was wrong."

"He wasn't." He insists unyieldingly, a trait of his that only grows stronger every day. "No one thinks you're weak, if that's what you're worried about."

"I don't care if people think I'm weak. I care that I feel weak." I correct him, spitting out the words like they're venom on my tongue. "My brother could be dead and here I am sitting in a church."

"Daryl's not dead. He's too stubborn to die." Carl attempts at a joke, and I'm surprised that he actually succeeds in it.

"Good point." I say, looking to the kid with half a smile on my face.

"Besides," Carl shrugs, or least shrugs the best he can while holding Judith. "Daryl knows his way around the woods. He'll come back."

He'll come back. The words strike an old chord.

"I sure hope so." I mutter, facing forwards again and waiting. That's all that I can do now, and it seems that it's enough.

The doors behind me creak open, finally putting some noise inside the silent place of worship. Sasha is the first inside, stomping in with a goal set and burning in her eyes.

I rise to my feet when I spot Glenn walking in among the others, and I make a beeline right to him. I put my arms around his shoulders and pull him into an embrace.