E I G H T

CHAPTER EIGHT
SPICKS AND SPECKS

tw: brief discussion of weight▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I step out of the shower, wrapping the towel over my body. I walk over to the mirror and wipe off the condensation, meeting my own gaze in the reflection. I make myself hold it for a moment, no matter how uncomfortable the simple action makes me feel.

I quickly wash my hands in the sink, just to be sure, and I grab the needle I laid out before. I made sure to sterilize it prior, practically soaking it in hydrogen peroxide. It's not a life or death situation, but I still want to be thorough.

I watch in the mirror as I hold the needle up to my ear, using a bar of soap to protect my neck from getting stabbed in the process. I don't give myself any time to chicken out before I force the needle through the skin. I hear a soft pop escape as the needle slides in.

I breathe heavily through my nose as I grab the earring off the counter, sliding it in right next to the needle. I pull the sharp object out, place the back of the earring in, and then it's done. I flush the self-inflicted wound with saline. One down, one to go. The next earring isn't as bad. It bleeds a little more than the first, but it's nothing a little water and sodium chloride can't fix.

I look at my reflection again, this time eyeing the small, plastic diamonds that I shoved through my skin. It sting, almost like a paper cut, but I've certainly dealt with worse pain. If I can survive what I've gone through, I can survive an ear piercing— and a single party.

I throw on some clothes, certainly not an outfit I'm planning to wear to our welcoming party tonight. But it's better than walking down the hallway in only a towel.

I toss the used towel in the hamper and exit the bathroom. However, when I make it to the hall, I run into my brother. Daryl's still wearing his clothes from the outside. I would never expect him to take off that vest of his, but I was hoping he'd at least change his pants.

"Where are you going?" I ask him, eyes glancing to his bow at his side.

"Scouting with Aaron. That's my job, or whatever." He grumbles bitterly, not liking the idea of structure. That's one of the many ways we differ.

"Aaron's nice." I say.

"I guess." My brother shrugs.

"Are you going to Deanna's party later?" I question, praying that he proves me wrong. "I know it's not really your scene, it's not mine either, but I think I'd like it if you tried."