O N E

CHAPTER ONE
WHAT HAPPENED AND WHAT'S GOING ON

CHAPTER ONEWHAT HAPPENED AND WHAT'S GOING ON

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

There's a kid named Noah and he knew Beth. They met at the hospital. I don't have the details. She had a chance to escape, but she instead let him go free in her place. That sounds like something Beth would have done.

The kid named Noah is one of us. A friend of a friend, some would say. He's quiet, soft spoken. He seems like a person worth saving, but I'm not sure he feels the same way.

And the kid named Noah has family. A town with walls, around twenty people surviving inside, his brothers and mom being some of them. Beth promised to help him find them, so we're carrying out that promise because she can't.

The world passes by in a blur of browns and greens. We tinkered with some old walkies, squeezed Tyreese, Rick, Michonne, Glenn, and me into a van and went on our way with Noah's direction. The ride has been quiet so far, until Rick has something to ask.

"How far out?" Is the question he has.

Noah shifts in the passenger seat for a better look at the surroundings, "Five miles." He answers.

"Hey, Carol?" Rick speaks into the walkie.

"I'm here." Comes her static reply.

Rick presses the button, "We're halfway there, just wanted to check the range."

"Everybody's holding tight. We've made it 500 miles. Maybe this can be the easy part."

"Got to think we're due." Rick ponders, a weak jab at our luck. "Give us twenty minutes to check in."

"We don't hear from you, we'll come looking."

"Copy that." Rick parts way with our other half with a click of a button. The silence returns to it's rightful place.

I remove my gaze from the window, away from the cast glimpses of trees, and turn it to Glenn. He has a CD in his hands. He's spinning it around, watching the light catch it's holographic surface.

I place a light kiss to his cheek, not liking the way a frown looks on him. I much prefer the smile that takes over, even if it's a small one.

"I've been wanting to tell you something." Noah says to Tyreese. I only glance at them for a moment, not wanting to make it obvious I'm eavesdropping.

"What's that?" Asks Tyreese.

"The trade." Says Noah. The hospital. The gun. Beth. "It was the right play. It worked. It did work, just something else happened after."