F I V E

CHAPTER FIVE
A NEW DAWN

CHAPTER FIVEA NEW DAWN

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The town surrounding the water tower is so small, I'd hardly even call it a town. It's mostly businesses, some related to the tower and some not, but it doesn't take us long to cross it.

As Rick leads us around the corner of the water tower building, he whistles into the silent alleyway. He gestures for us to pause, waiting for that sound in return. Soon enough, the other whistle comes.

I see a person pop out from a building, waving us over. Daryl, I recognize him even in the full glow of candlelight inside the building. I pick up my page as we meet the group, all of them pouring out of the door.

"Dad!" Carl beams as he shoots right past me and into his father's arms.

I shift so I'm facing the family of my own, and I'm surprised when Daryl immediately throws a hug onto me. It takes me a second to regain my thoughts, but once I do I hug him back.

"Must have been really worried to react like this." I chuckle.

"I always worry." He admits lowly, not wanting everyone else to hear. I don't care if he wants to keep it hidden, as long as he doesn't hide it from me.

Before I can think yo a reply, I get distracted by Aaron running by, "Eric?" He calls out, frantic eyes looking at every face around him.

"Who's Eric?" I ask, leaning away from Daryl's hug as Aaron yells the name once again.

Daryl waves it off, "Boyfriend or something. The guy's fine." I hum in response, realizing why Aaron was so concerned about that flare.

"In here." A faint voice replies from inside.

"Eric!" Aaron cries out, bursting through the door.

"Frannie?" Maggie's says from behind me. I turn around to face her with a soft smile. "Eric hurt his ankle. I checked it out. I think it's broken, but you can take a look at it if you want."

I shake my head, "Don't need to. I trust your judgement, and you." I tell her, meaning it full-heartedly.

"I'm glad you guys made it back in one piece." Maggie says, her lips curving up ever so slightly.

"We did. The car, not so much." I scratch the back of my neck.

"We still have that." Maggie reminds me, pointing to the RV a few feet away.